Joys of (anti)social housing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Loft space is only roofing felt (lots of holes in it) and tiles, so it gets super hot up there. It already exceeds 32 degrees in flat below with secondary glazing recently installed.

Found this delight, pvc cracked to exposed core, cracking pvc earth sleeve, they didn't even put it in a junction box. Two 3 core and earth cables (red, blue, yellow and unsleeve earth) so it was fairly recent but I don't know these colours, they're not UK standard. Other wiring is old red and black twin and earth. I don't really want to touch it other than put self-amalgamating tape over the exposed bits as temporary measure.

Seeing the above, I'm concerned about fire risk and also integrity of the rest of the wiring, since cables are just running over a single layer loft insulation between battens, with drywall ceiling boards underneath.

Attachments

• foto_no_exif(1).jpg
    foto_no_exif(1).jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 137
  • foto_no_exif(2).jpg
    foto_no_exif(2).jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 127
Sponsored Links
As the label says "bathroom light", is there an extractor fan that comes on with the light switch?
This would also be a typical usage for 3 core and earth cable.

Are you working for the housing association or are you the tenant?

If the former I'd be wondering why you're asking these questions, if the later I'd be wondering why you're asking this rather than your landlord to come and sort it out.

All of that aside I think that looks like DIY attempt at changing the light below and the 'cracked' cable looks more like mechanical damage than high ambient temperature heat damage.

Sponsored Links
Are you working for the housing association or are you the tenant?

If the former I'd be wondering why you're asking these questions, if the later I'd be wondering why you're asking this rather than your landlord to come and sort it out.

All of that aside I think that looks like DIY attempt at changing the light below and the 'cracked' cable looks more like mechanical damage than high ambient temperature heat damage.
I already reported it to them.

That's good to know though. I was worried about all the other cabling up there, although none of it terminates above the drywall so won't have exposed sleeves. Mechanical damage, what could cause that? It doesn't look like gnawing but maybe it was rats.

As the label says "bathroom light", is there an extractor fan that comes on with the light switch?
This would also be a typical usage for 3 core and earth cable.
Yes there is. I thought it might be okay when I checked the terminals on one of the three core cables, two are for DC one is the live switch.

Last edited:
It looks as though it may have in the past been too near to/on top of a hot (probably halagon) downlighter, and been cooked by the heat? That's my best guess.

Cure is to cut it back to sound cable, and make proper joints in a suitable box.

It looks as though it may have in the past been too near to/on top of a hot (probably halagon) downlighter, and been cooked by the heat? That's my best guess.

Cure is to cut it back to sound cable, and make proper joints in a suitable box.

I can't recall what light was there before but it was replaced several years ago with a GR8 double D CFL fitting which I only changed this year to LED, so it could well be that. The fitting and ballast were yellowed from heat, plastic on the ballast was brittle. Contractor is booked so hopefully they'll do the right thing and not just cover it all with silicone. lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back