Extractor Fan Guide ***make sticky***

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Extractor fan guide (an attempt anyway)

The wiring

***The core colours are due to change shortly but this guide is still applicable***

Take a three core and earth cable from the ceiling batten holder in the bathroom/toilet to a suitable position high up on the wall, outside of the bathroom for an isolator switch (usually above the door), then a three core and earth from the isolator to a position where you would like the fan to be positioned. The cable to the fan should be sunk into the wall and the other cables also suitably routed

Connections are as follows (fan with timer)

At the light connect the blue in with the neutral, red in with the permanent live and yellow in with the switched live, earth in with the rest. use red sleeving on the yellow and earth sleeving on the earth cable

At the isolator, connect the colours the same at the top as it is at the bottom. So they should correspond. i.e red yellow blue across the top, and red yellow blue across the bottom. Connect the earths into the connectors (use sleeving)

At the fan, look either in the instructions or by the side of the connectors on the fan. If the fan has no timer you will not need the red cable so tape it up inside safely. again, use red sleeving on the yellow and earth sleeving on the earth cable. you may find no connector for the earth so just use a long piece of sleeving over it so it covers the end and fold it back on itself.

Blue = neutral
Red = Permanent live
Yellow= switched live

The Hole to be drilled

find a position on the wall that has no obstructions, get a compass, measure it at 3 inches radius (you will be drilling a 6 inch wide hole)

then draw in a suitable position where you would like the hole. at this point its advisable to look outside to see what you will be drilling through ;)

Method 1:

get a 20mm wide masonry bit and drill outside through the centre of your marked hole. then go to a local tool hire place and hire a 6 inch core bit (ronnie :LOL: ) and maybe a drill too, depending how powerfull yours is.

the core bit will have a guide in the middle where it will sit in the hole you made previously. Drill it out and your extractor fan will sit nicely on. use ducting to the outside and dont forget to put a grille on the outside too, otherwise it will look rubbish. This takes approximately....... all day

Method 2

get an 8-12mm (thanks FWL_Engineer) wide masonry bit and drill a series of holes along the circumfrence of the line you have drawn. be sure to go out straight, otherwise the hole wont be big enough to fit your grille on.

Tips:

*dont be a cheat and put grip-fill on the grille outside to stick it up there, heat will react with it and melt the grille.

*Dont drill out too fast because you will blow a big hole in the brick work.

*Using a core-bit generates LOADS of dust so cover everything in a dust sheet.

Offer the fan up to the wall and mark out holes for fixing. You may need to notch out some of the brick work for the cable to sit in the wall nicely.

Hope that helps :D

chris

Sponsored Links
Couple of things there..

Firstly, it would be wise to check the type of fan you are installing before doing the wiring, if it is a simple on/off type fan, then you do not need to install a seperate Isolator and installing 3C+E is pretty pointless.

However if the Fan has a permenent fee as it is controlled by a Humidistat, then it MUST have a local Isolator, but again it may not require 3C+E

You don't need a 150mm (6") hole if you only have a 104mm(4") extract, which is the most common size found in domestic homes in the UK.

Also, if drilling a series of holes around a circumference to create one larger hole, although time consuming, using a bit size of 20mm is ill advised, the ideal size would be about 8 to 12mm. The smaller (within reason) the better. You end up with a cleaner and neater cavity in which to install the fan.

Also, I saw no mention of a section of ducting, either flexible or solid, being installed between the fan and outer grill. The outer grill should be a self-closing type or of the angles variety in order to preent rain entering the ducting.

good points, perhaps i will withdraw my statment

I will withdraw my statement, Skilled you have only written it the way you did it, i just noticed it is you who are asking HOW to do something else electrical

the idea of the sticky section is how it should be done , not how you did it, as regretfully as FWL_Engineer points out your suggestion is flawed

thanks for the input.
:D

Firstly, it would be wise to check the type of fan you are installing before doing the wiring, if it is a simple on/off type fan, then you do not need to install a seperate Isolator and installing 3C+E is pretty pointless.

under the heading of the section i did put 'with timer'

a bit size of 20mm is ill advised

i can see your point, i was just thinking of speed.

Also, I saw no mention of a section of ducting

obviously you didn't read it all then :LOL:

Sponsored Links
i just noticed it is you who are asking HOW to do something else electrical

we are not all perfect. as with everyone else i am here to gain something from the site. I figured my experience might help on the subject as a few people have asked this question concerning extractor fans. I have only just passed my time as an electrician and hope you can all give me advice when i need at, just like its nice to give others some help.
:)

feel free to add your points or any extras

If it is impractical to fit a triple iso outside, then Ashley make a pullcord version.

Also no reg preventing the fitting of a normal TP isolator inside the bathroom...

Well, yes. But that's the same for a pullcord - the switch must be in Zone 3 or outside the zones - it's only the bit of string that can be in Zone 1 or 2...

ban-all-sheds said:
Well, yes. But that's the same for a pullcord - the switch must be in Zone 3 or outside the zones - it's only the bit of string that can be in Zone 1 or 2...

I keep telling the girlfriend that..but she doesn't listen :D

FWL_Engineer said:
skilled said:
Also, I saw no mention of a section of ducting

obviously you didn't read it all then :LOL:

Obviously I did as it is still not there :LOL:
Penultimate line of Method 1 of drilling the hole.

HINT- Press CTRL-F, and type 'duct' into the box in the little window that pops up, then click the Find Next button....

Ban

Bit of string?????

I trust you are referring to the poly-acetate isolating pull cord with integral acorn????

engineer:

use ducting to the outside

maybe you are implying this isn't sufficient and it requires a whole section on just a bit of ducting! :rolleyes:

securespark said:
Ban

Bit of string?????

I trust you are referring to the poly-acetate isolating pull cord with integral acorn????
That's the fella. A poly-acetate isolating bit of string. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back