Jumping UPVC door latch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into a house with a upvc front door that has a multi-point lock that may be faulty.

I understand that when the door is shut and held closed by the latch only it should not be possible to open the door from the outside unless the key is turned at the same time as the external handle is held down.

I have found that if the door is pushed and held from the outside and its handle is repeatedly and rapidly pushed or knocked down the door will (fly) open. The only way the stop this happening is to physically lock the door with its key.

The latch mechanism doesn't appear to be worn as there is very little up, down or sideways movement of the latch bolt. However, when viewed from above I can see that latch bolt is slightly skewed left to right and not at a right-angle with the door lock stile and striker plate. The spring on the latch bolt is not particularly strong but any stronger and it would be difficult to turn the key to draw the (latch) bolt back and open the door. The long metal strip that holds the locking assembly together and into the door doesn't appear to be bent or distorted.

It looks as though it is possible to bounce the latch bolt back into its withdrawn position but I'm not sure. I've tried adjusting the door so it's closer to the striker plate and moved the striker plate closer to the door but it makes little difference.

Can anyone advise what the most likely cause is and what can be done to resolve the problem?

Many thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I can see there have been many Views of this Topic but no replies. Please can someone advise if there is a problem with it, e.g. too long/wordy, badly written etc?

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back