junction box/light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi just a couple of simple questions
1)what size junction box should i use for breaking into a lighting circuit to install a couple of wall lights 20amp or 5amp? would it make much difference.

2)how is a 2 gang light switch connected up to supply 2 seperate lights, is it red to common and black to L1 as it is in a 1 gang switch, but with the exception that 2 cables will be in there own seperate terminals within the switch?

i just want to make sure before i attempt any connections
cheers!

Sponsored Links
a 5A box is fine on a lighting cuircuit but you may find the higher rated boxes less cramped especially if the bit of your lighting cuircuit in question is in oversized cable.

two gang lightswitches are two totally seperate switches on the same plate there are basically 3 methods of wiring that can be used.

mains in on one cable and lights on another two cables with neutrals joined in the backbox.

two seperate switch drops from a loop in fitting or junction box.

three and earth cable carrying a permanant live and two switched lives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back