Junction box or terminal box

Sponsored Links
I would have said that if you used stuffing glands (or similar, depending on type of cable), then this would be a better option in many cases...anyone care to comment?

Hello,

So long as whichever method you use, the connector blocks are accessible, then either method is ok.

However, can you not crimp the cables ? , (crimps being a bit smaller and not prone to loosen over time). Connectors in a conduit box seriously reduce the capacity, but if thats not an issue then its ok.

Are we talking about a complete conduit system here (singles wirig) ?

Sponsored Links
It was just one dodgy connection made by the previous houseowner that I recently remade using a junction box rather than connector blocks wrapped in tape. A few days later I spotted the conduit box on a website and thought it might have made my life a lot easier, having had my head in a small cupboard under the sink for about three hours.

How severely would connector blocks in a conduit box reduce the capacity by ? just out of interest

Hello Bowness,
It depends how many connector blocks, and thier rating (size), you intend to try and 'wedge' into these T boxes ! :LOL: :LOL:

Not actually planning on using any at the moment, just for future reference. The last situation when it might have been useful I would only have needed three blocks. I dont know whether the conduit box would have been a suitable size though.
Other tips received on this thread suggested crimping the wires which may have made life easier when I was fuming at why junction box terminals seemed so small. Does crimping the wire mean that you effectively get a flatter but wider shape to fit into the terminals ?

No, it removes the need for terminal blocks by making a more permanent, reliable connection (if it's done proper like!).
Crimping compresses the two conductors inside a crimp terminal which can then be insulated. Crimp connections don't need to be accessible, but its generally a good idea of you can keep them accessible/visible in case a fault develops in the future.

Good to know. I think I have seen the crimping terminals now you mention it. Do they look a bit like spade terminals ?

I think I would feel better if after crimping and insulating the cables they were then put in something like a conduit box, especially if its not easy to do right.

baldersj said:
No, it removes the need for terminal blocks by making a more permanent, reliable connection (if it's done proper like!).
Crimping compresses the two conductors inside a crimp terminal which can then be insulated. Crimp connections don't need to be accessible, but its generally a good idea of you can keep them accessible/visible in case a fault develops in the future.

I would not recommend crimp joints to the average DIYer

Rule No 1 Use the right tool for the type and size of crimp

Rule No 2 Use the right size of crimp for the wires.

And since the correct tool is likely to be expensive for the few joints the average DIYer is going to make (s)he may well decide to just crush the crimp with pliers.

Crimps crushed in a pair of pliers do NOT make reliable joints. I know, I once found several hundred on the wiring of a food production line.

Bernard
Sharnbrook

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back