Junction box under bathroom floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wonder if you can offer some guidance with this issue. I want to knock down a wall in my house that has a double socket on it. The socket has obviously been added fairly recently as the cables are not sunk into the wall.

This wall is under the bath i have got the floorboards up and have access to the two cables that run to the socket.

Am i correct in thinking that i can detach the cables from the socket, pull them up into the boards then tie them into a junction box ? something like http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=03741&id=18802# ?

Also the position slightly worries me, is there a special waterproof box i need ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the JB must be accessable. you should crimp it and wrap self amalgamating (sp?) tape around it

the exact jb you mention is only rated @ 5A (too small)

jbs are supposed to be acssable, under thebath is not really accesable.

if it were me i wwould run a new cable between the sockest the cable comes from

thanks for the input

breezer what do you mean ?

so dont bother with a junction box just crimp together, and the tape should seal it up ?

thanks again

Sponsored Links
munteros said:
thanks for the input

breezer what do you mean ?

so dont bother with a junction box just crimp together, and the tape should seal it up ?

thanks again

breezer means run a new cable instead of having 2 cable joined. this would be the best option but if you do insist on joining it do it properly using crimps and a ratchet crimper and make it water resistant with salf amalgamating tape

Or put a joint box (30a type) in a place where by unscrewing bath panels or trick floor board or similar, it can be easily inspected. Under the floor should be dry or you will have other probs anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back