Junction Box under floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Arguing with a mate at work (neither of us are electricians). I think it is against the new regs to have ANY junction boxes (regardless of circuit) under floorboards as they are inaccessibile. Ref to reg: 526-04-01

Can someone just confirm I am correct or not.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
526-04-01 governs the accesability of connections and forbids screwed connections in inaccessable places, which is a bit vague, I'd suggest that under a tiled floor would be inaccesable, and under a wooden floor with an access hatch made into the boards would be accessable, where carpet is involved things are a bit more open to interpretation, the NICEIC suggests that under carpet is inaccessable

I don't believe 526-04-01 is particulaly new either, I would be *very* supprised if it did not pre-date the 16th (1992)

degsey said:
The Cavity Master gives easy access to JBs even under chipboard floors.

So does the trap that adam mentioned, a carpeted over hole and grommet arrangement is no different to a carpeted over trap.

Sponsored Links
.....and in reality, a single floor board could be classed as a trap as it is removable as long as it's not been tiled over as Adam pointed out.

...although, of course, unless you affix a prominent permanent sign to the wall saying "Floor Trap to Electrical Junction Box Below" then the box might as well be inaccessible because no-one will know where to look for it.

And the week after you finish, someone will nail down a laminated floor on top.

It's about time one of the big manufactures came up with a JB for fitting in inaccessible places. Lets face it, most JB's that are used in floor/ceiling voids eventually end up inaccessible so I would have thought there would be a big market.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back