What junction box/enclosure to use in home?

R

richard7761

Hi. First of all, imagine all the wiring came up from the distribution box and into a large junction box under the floorboards on the first floor of the house.

At that point all the wiring terminates into the junction box. From that junction box, wiring then goes out left and right to the sockets, the lights. It would be a bit like a T junction at the box.

This is something I'm thinking of doing.

But, firstly, would this general arrangement comply with wiring regulations?

If it's not in general prohibited, what box would you be looking for - if you wanted your connectors inside the box to be on DIN rails?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I can think of no good reason to do this. Joints are bad. You ought to be aiming to have no joints at all in your wiring.

The so called lolly pop arrangement is done where there is a long run to where the ring is to start and you want to reduce the volt drop by using heavier cables.

DIN rail does allow the link bars to join terminals of different sizes so it would be a good type of junction box.

However if I needed to do this think I would look as a double cooker connection unit this also has one cable in and two cables out and would also allow for different size cables.

If not using something rather large to feed then one has to ask why? Running two 4mm cables to first sockets and then using 2.5mm between the sockets would do the same thing as running a single 10mm cable to a cooker connection unit and then running 2.5mm so question is why do you want to do it? You can get a 6mm and 2.5mm in one socket so could even run to 6mm cables to first socket.

Where I would consider lolly pop arrangement is where supplying an out building with power so you also want to bury the feed cable. Even then you could use 4 core cable.

So explain why you want to do it.

433.2.1 Except where Regulation 433.2.2 or 433.3 applies, a device for protection against overload shall be installed at the point where a reduction occurs in the value of the current-carrying capacity of the conductors of the installation.
NOTE: A reduction in current-carrying capacity may be due to a change in cross-sectional area, method of installation, type of cable or conductor, or in environmental conditions.

That is the problem regulation. But the protective device has neither branch
circuits nor outlets for connection of current-using equipment between the consumer unit and point where ring is formed so I see this as complying. But it is down to the guy signing the installation certificate and those doing a EICR after and they could reject it so is it worth the chance.

Sponsored Links
Screw terminations must be accessible. Under floorboards isn't, unless you leave a hatch in the floor.

Otherwise, you would have to use maintenance free connectors.

But as the above comments,

Hi. I don't need to do what I've mentioned. I was just wondering what might be said about such an arrangement.

If I did do it, and I'm not saying I would, I'm just thinking about it, I'd probably terminate the wire ends with cable lugs and find the appropriate terminals.

People might wonder why. It's just me to do something like this. I like thie idea. Like I say, it's just me. ;)

People might wonder why. It's just me to do something like this. I like thie idea. Like I say, it's just me. ;)
Like others, I'm rather intrigued to know what advantages over the conventional methods you were thinking that this approach might offer.

Kind Regards, John

It's pointless and why would anyone want to do this.

It's not just adding unnecessary work but what purpose would it give you?

Hi. First of all, imagine all the wiring came up from the distribution box
It does.

and into a large junction box under the floorboards on the first floor of the house.
Do you mean cut the cables and then rejoin in a junction box?

At that point all the wiring terminates into the junction box.
Only if you intentionally cut the cables.

From that junction box, wiring then goes out left and right to the sockets,
A fist floor ring does.
All you need is two cables instead of one twice as thick.

the lights.
You would also need a fuse or MCB.

It would be a bit like a T junction at the box.
A bit more than one simple T

This is something I'm thinking of doing.
What about other things upstairs: boiler, immersion etc.?

But, firstly, would this general arrangement comply with wiring regulations?
If done properly.

If it's not in general prohibited,
Nothing is prohibited if it complies with the regulations.

what box would you be looking for - if you wanted your connectors inside the box to be on DIN rails?
A consumer unit fed by a sub-main.
Obviously it cannot be under the floorboards.

You could put this CU downstairs combined with the downstairs one and have no superfluous arrangement upstairs (which likely is no more than two metres away).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back