Junction boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to change an existing junction box which is located in the most awkward of spaces in my loft. Now we all know traditional junction boxes can be agonisingly frustrating when you are trying to juggle with four sets of 2-core + earth wires.

I was wondering if anyone yet has devised a much simpler method to replace the old 4-post type boxes?

I've always thought that having 4 bank of 4 brass terminals so that each wire can be individually screwed down would be far more secure and safer - id there such a beast?

Sponsored Links
I've always thought that having 4 bank of 4 brass terminals so that each wire can be individually screwed down would be far more secure and safer - id there such a beast?
(click here) .....
MK1132W.JPG

Kind Regards, John

The Hager J501 is also decent. You’ll have to double up one set of earths but there’s loads of room, and cable clamps

Sponsored Links
The J804 would be my choice. Push fit terminals. Just the cord clamps to struggle with.

ASJ804.JPG

The J804 would be my choice. Push fit terminals. Just the cord clamps to struggle with.
Indeed. As for that struggling, I don't know about others, but I almost invariably end up having to completely remove at least one of the clamp screws (so that I can rotate the clamp bar), since it is otherwise extremely difficult to get conductors into the terminals (if one tries using pliers, the insulation often ends up getting damaged.

Other than that, they are great to use, and it remains only to wait a few decades before we (or our descendants!) know for sure whether, in the long-term, they are more 'safe', less 'safe' or similarly 'safe' to traditional screw-terminal JBs.

Kind Regards, John

I always remove one screw from each clamp then swing them back over the cable.

That is the advantage of a wagobox+wagos rather than a J803/4. It's an entirely tool-free operation if you're working with pre-stripped cables, if not, you need one tool.

I don't find the clamps an issue with cables, they slide under happily. Perhaps loosen them a little for 2.5 T+E, but 1.0 is a breeze.

I don't find the clamps an issue with cables, they slide under happily. Perhaps loosen them a little for 2.5 T+E, but 1.0 is a breeze.
There's no problem getting the cable under the clamps, per se. The problem comes if one does that and then tries to get the individual conductors into the spring terminals - 'confidently' and without damaging them. In my experience, it's much easier to remove one clamp screw (and loosen the other), swivel the clamp out of the way, terminate the conductors and then, finally, re-attach and tighten the clamp. However, others may be more clever than I am!

Kind Regards, John

I think they work fine, I tend to loop around, not go straight in.
Fair enough. I've tried that, and it does make things much easier, but it then gets all a bit crowded (and aesthetically not all that pleasing!).

Kind Regards, John

There's no problem getting the cable under the clamps, per se. The problem comes if one does that and then tries to get the individual conductors into the spring terminals - 'confidently' and without damaging them. In my experience, it's much easier to remove one clamp screw (and loosen the other), swivel the clamp out of the way, terminate the conductors and then, finally, re-attach and tighten the clamp.
I've never given it a second's thought when I do that when wiring a plug, which is every time I wire a plug - it's just the way I do it.

It would never occur to me to fret about doing it with a JB - it would not even register with me that it might not be the best way.

I thought the clamps were double sided anyway, meaning you may have to remove both screws anyway, maybe not a problem with T+ E, but more so with flex from Transformers etc. as for space, i sometimes remove all the clamps, or at least 1 screw first, sometimes even binning the unneeded clamps after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back