jury summons/ self employed/loss of earnings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I got jury summons, I'm a self employed sole trader decorator.
Has anyone any experience of how to calculate for loss of earnings? would last yrs figures suffice?
I expect I will have to contact accountant if they don't accept my latest sob story. (3rd deferal in 3 yrs :rolleyes: )

Any advice on how a self employed person got paid would be interesting.
Cheers

John .

Sponsored Links
Ahh but CHM, just think of the money once the trial reaches day 201. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Ahh but CHM, just think of the money once the trial reaches day 201. :
:eek: :eek:

Was wondering if anyone been there done that ~~>If you’re self-employed

If you’re self-employed, you must provide the court with evidence of your loss of earnings. This could be your last tax return or a letter from your accountant giving your average gross daily income. If you do not have proof, speak to court staff on your first day of jury service.

You might not actually have to serve. I've been called twice but not actually had to take any time off. Here, you have to call a number after 5pm the day before and listen to a message - 3 days in a row. On the first two days the message says 'you are not required, call back tomorrow'. On the third day the message says 'you are not required and off the hook, no need to call back again'. I reckon they get enough folk from those who just turn up anyway because they haven't read all the stuff properly (phone instructions on a different page to the citation. .)

Hi. I got jury summons, I'm a self employed sole trader decorator.
You can always ask to be released from jury service because you are a self-employed sole trader.

I have been called three times, but have never had to serve. The first time, when I was an employee, my boss wrote to say that he couldn't afford to let me go.

On the second and third times, when I was self-employed, I wrote to tell them I was a self-employed sole trader and I got let off.

Even if you get called, tell the clerk that you are self-employed, and they will put you down for something short. I have found them sympathetic.

Some people, such as early-retired, are quite happy to do a long trial as they find it interesting, and like to perform a service for the community.

I got called up and served jury service (I was paye) so didn't mind, I then got called up again a few years ago and no matter what I said to the bitch on the other end of the phone I couldn't get excused.

So I turned up with my two kids and told them I couldn't afford child care and that my wife was working today, that did it.

[quote="Click-Sure";p="2049969"]Join the Federation of Small Businesses[/quote]

Why?

because they pay you for every day your doing jury service.

because they pay you for every day your doing jury service.

Rob, that it is an interesting sttaement. I decided not to continue membership as the only potential benefit to me was the Tax Insurance, but when I read the coverage properly, it isn't as good as most think, and I am in fact covered identically by Card Save.

Our renewal (Ltd. Co) is £140.

I have read my entire FSB file, and I can not find any reference to Jury Service. I am (was) a long standing member, and so I am (was) in the Gold Club, and, oddly, I can still log on to the Gold site. I did so, and there is no mention of Jury service there.

So, I believe you are wrong, but in case I am, can you point us to the relevant section?

In fact my wife has done Jury service TWICE in the las ten years, so I'll be gutted if we could have claimed!

Thanks. EGM.

Best to just stay off the electoral register if you don't mind not being able to vote, and don't mind potential refusals for credit applications etc.

Sponsored Links
Back