Just a sense check before i do anything please

gti

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Im just after a bit of advice before i do something dumb. Ive got a glowworm 30cxi that was fitted with new pipes and rads about two and a half years ago. The systems been fine but of late the hot water has started to play up. The guy who fitted it two weeks ago removed the heat exchanger and tried to clean it with some acid as water alone would not shift it and flushed the system, and it was fine after that until today where it started playing up again. I had noticed when i had a rad off that the water had some (not alot) small black bits. The system has always had inhibitor in and it was correctly cleansed when installed.

What im thinking is before i ask him to replace the heat exchanger i should fit a filter to try and catch any of these nastys before they mess it up again.
I did like the MAGNACLEAN TWINTECH but went off that as i don't like the plastic idea and reading people having them leak. Wasn't keen on the TF1 either as it was also plastic, so that left me with the SPIROTECH magnabooster. I know the magnet part if naff compared to the other two but maybe i could add some Neodymium Magnets round the outside that can be removed when cleaning the unit.

Does anyone think its worth wile doing or has any suggestions please?

Thanks Trev

Sponsored Links
Hi Im just after a bit of advice before i do something dumb. Ive got a glowworm 30cxi

Sorry Trev, but having one of these things means that you may already have done something dumb. ;) Although, the later ones aren't so bad.

Is the whole system only 2 years old?

The TF1 is what I have started fitting, and is quite well made. I have come to this decision after leaky Magnacleans and inefficient Spirovents caused me grief. I don't think that retro-fitting magnets to the Spiro is going to help, however well it is made.

We've always used Magnacleans, find them to be very effective and although they seem to have a reputation among some installers for leaking we've never had this problem

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply guys, much appreciated. I was not sure of the TF1 due to the plastic but looks like its liked here.

Yeah the whole system is only 2 years old :( had it fitted just after buying my first house. Ill have to do a search and a read up on the TF1. It will have to be fitted in horizontal mode though.

Thanks again

Trev

magnaboosters don't seem to work very well. i would go for a the TF1 simply because the magnaclean leaks to much. hopefully the TF1 picks up as much crap as the MC without leaking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back