Just a thought

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a Baxi Solo 250RS (No fan) & a Primatic cylinder (remember them) all coupled to a micro bore CH circuit.

You know its all original. Circa 1977 I think (The same time Elvis died anyways as the plumbers were all walking around in a daze) Bar the Boiler which was changed ummmmmm 10/12 years ago.... Anyway it all works fine :eek: ........ The water in the heating circuit is bloody filthy, C'est la vie ........ Oh yeah I'll get to the point :rolleyes: ...... Am I likely to realise any improvement if I replace the cylinder (Lob header tank in the loft) & stick on a motorised valve......? I have heared horror stories about primatics failing & dumping gunky ch water down the hot tap supply........OR should I just wait for the thing to pack up :LOL:

I tried talking to a heating engineer who told me I really should rip out the whole system & use 25/15mm feeds to the radiators get a sooper dooper computerised boiler & empty my wallet in to his pocket :evil: ......... "Because it will cost less to run"....... Effeciency & all that malarky ......... My last set of gas usage calcs came out at a annual gas bill of £450...... Which even by my dodgy maths is just over a pound a day .......... So its going to take me till the end of time to recoup the outlay for a new system ............... Bloody Salesmen :mad:

What do you mob think ?

Sponsored Links
Well it`s 1 for the £ anda 2 for the show:cool: Yup, I`d aha get rid of that ole` primatic and a new high efficiency pre lagged quick recovery cylinder`ll do a mighty fine job for y`all,uh hu :rolleyes:

J..M
LOL ..LOL your not from Yorkshire origional are you as they are very careful with their £1s :)

Primatics ... Urgh ...:(

get a new cylinder fitted ...

*Nige F has left the building *

Just changing the cylinder & associated bits would be a good move you think ?

& Why ?

Sponsored Links
yes of course because that old cylinder is probably full of sludge an you will notice the heating cost dramatically come down due to already mentioned high efficiency pre lagged quick recovery , bet that bit will make you sit up ,lol

fully pump it and a new double feed indirect blue suede shoe should see you right.

As a DIY & a bitta O' cheapy ........ we are lookin @ £250 for the goods all in ...... You agree ?

i think a smallish Part L foam lagged 450 x 900 cylinder is around £300+ alone.

bster

around £300 yep although you should of said double that to get him "all shuck up !"

lol @ scatmanjohn ......:)

JM has a cardiac arrest ........ Looks up ......... feels unwell

Yeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :p

You guys needs a "Shootin" ................ :idea:

bster said:
i think a smallish Part L foam lagged 450 x 900 cylinder is around £300+ alone.
Get outa town - would you seriously charge that amount for a cylinder worth less than £200?

Build quality of dhw cylinders is so bad, that although they are a few quid less at BES and Screwfix I now buy them from City Plumbing whose Telford Cylinders are the best buy locally. I open them infront of the staff and inspect every joint before taking them away.

I have decided that in the factories where they are made they cut the threads, then get an iron bar about the right diameter and distort them so that no brass part will ever get started on it. Then they shove the bar through the hole and wang it to one side or the other and hold it there. Then they spray it with lagging, as thick as possible and close as possible to the unions but leave it as thin as possible where the plumber doesn't have to swing a shifter. Then they shave the right amount of copper off the bottom so that it will leak just outside the gurantee period.

It's just that if you mail order one of these, it's a draned nuicance trying to exchange it.

I would never walk out of a merchants again with a dhw cylinder I hadn't fully inspected before I left.

Actually I wouldn't even walk out with a flush handle without checking it, trips to and fro due to pooor build quality of plumbing kit is what Chris forgot to add on that other thread where he depressingly pointed out we would all be better off working as groundcrew at Heathrow.

I'm with you Paul - even though I have a good relationship with everyone at my local merchant, I still check everything.

They used to laugh at me when I opened a box of 25 PX40s to check that each one had two undamaged olives, but they weren't so clever on the day that I opened two tubs of premixed tile adhesive in front of them and they contained nothing but thick soup.

And don't get me started on cylinders; I don't even go to a job if the customer wants to buy/collect it themselves - it's just not worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back