Boiler Kettling on Glo-worm boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My CH comprises a Glo-worm space saver 45-60 with a gravity fed primatic cylinder and 9 radiators. Over the last few years it has become increasingly noisy, to the point where the neighbours have actually commented on it.

The noise occurs in both the pumped and gravity circuits, although the pumped circuit is noisier. It is coming from the boiler itself, then resonating though the pipework! I've tried changing the pump speed but it makes no difference. Before we realised it was a primatic cylinder, we tried Fernox descaler but it made no difference (apart from muckying the HW).

I've had a few plumbers out and all they want to do it rip it all out and fit a combi, or worse still 'twud be a condensing boiler now since the April deadline looms.

As I see it my possibilities for the cause of the noise are :-
1) Scaled up boiler. Thing is I live in a soft water area, so is this really likely? as I said we tried Fernox to no avail.

2) Air in system. But its gone gradually worse, moreover I've never had any problems with air in rads. etc.

3) Flow problem due to sludge. Dunno here, the water looks really clean when you run a bit out. I could drain it all and flush out the rads I guess?

4) Corroded heat exchanger. Given that the system is probably about 20 years old, and inhibitor won't have been used in that time, could the problem be a corrosion pitted surface causing local hot spots and thus boiling the water.

Personally I suspect (4) corroded heat exchanger. I bet I'd never get a new one for such an old boiler. Natually I don't want to replace if at all poss cos of this new "you vill fit vat we say" rule as of April.

Anyway if anyone has any bright ideas then I would be very grateful to hear them.

Thanks

Rob

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back