Just curious, roofing felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No problem as such but in the course of refurbishing my gutters, I found that although the back of the tiles is felted the felt cannot be seen at the gutter. I was of the impression that the felt extended into the gutter, but lifting the edge of a tile (thinking it was maybe cut flush) I still cannot see it, is the normal.
It must stop somewhere within the soffit which seems a loopy idea to me.:eek:

1935 build with tiled roof the shape with a steep pitch I believe is called a Sussex Barn.

Sponsored Links
That was not that uncommon in that era. often no felt at all. Even private houses in the 30s were sometimes given a choice. felt or no felt, a bit like do you want carpet in your merc boot or not.
This went on for quite a long time . felt being stopped at the inner skin of cavity (if there is one) and just clearing the wall plate at the bottom

Sponsored Links
Thanks, makes sense we do have cavity walls.
The internal felt is in good nick, certain there is no trace of it at the roof edge. So any water would be directed in to the cavity then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back