just gone through a gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Dad has recently gone through a gas pipe in his garden. It was between 2-4" deep under the ground. With no marker tape it tell him it was there. It was only a puncture. National Grid came out to repair it. No mention of been charged for it. Just now received a bill for £109.29 the letter also states that because they used a mole no need to use marker tape. How does he legal stand and does he have to pay this bill ?

Sponsored Links
IF and thats a big IF the pipe was only buried 2-4" under the ground level then the repair should be free.

Builder cut gas pipe at my home. 4" deep.

Transco said there would be a charge for the repair, I asked if they were aware there was a minimum depth that the pipe must be buried.

Got pipe fixed and never got a bill.:cool:

i cut through a gas pipe when i done a floor replacement(few years back)gas man came out and there was no charge.

Sponsored Links
Believe it should be minimum 18" deep and also if it was before your meter then it is gas boards responsibility not yours. You are only responsible for pipes after your meter.
Don't pay, go to Citizens Advice.

If it's the mains (before the meter) and your negligence has damaged it you are still liable.

But if it's less than a spade deep then surely the company, be they gas, water, cable tv etc are at fault?
People do dig their gardens over and often dig a spade depth to rotavate the soil or indeed, to plant a bush/tree.
I was digging a flower bed a few years ago when I felt something just below the surface. Thinking it was an old rose bush root I plunged the spade down hard and cut through my cable connection!
When the guys came out they said it was always happening and that it should be at least 12" below but no-one ever inspects. I wasn't charged for the repair.

But if it's less than a spade deep then surely the company, be they gas, water, cable tv etc are at fault?
People do dig their gardens over and often dig a spade depth to rotavate the soil or indeed, to plant a bush/tree.
I was digging a flower bed a few years ago when I felt something just below the surface. Thinking it was an old rose bush root I plunged the spade down hard and cut through my cable connection!
When the guys came out they said it was always happening and that it should be at least 12" below but no-one ever inspects. I wasn't charged for the repair.

My cat buries its tu*ds deeper than the cable guys bury their cables :rolleyes:

Don't know the exact legal position but it definitely sounds like it's worth talking to the CAB if the gas company won't just drop the matter when the depth of the pipe is pointed out to them!

The gas pipe depth is either 350 mm or 450 mm I can't remember which. :D

Don't pay . :D

Rule used to be 18 inches but this has now been dropped but if you argue they usually wave the charge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back