Just got some instrument back off Calibration...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks,

Although I'm 'only' a home DIY'er I have invested in some test equipmemt a few months ago, when i was both doing some work myself and getting work done by a local spark.

I bought an RCD tester, EFLI tester and Cont/Ins tester as i just had the inclination and a bit of spare cash at the time.

My RCD tester was brand new so doesn't require cal.

My Insulation/Continuity tester and EFLI tester were both s/h , bought via e-bay. I sent these away for cal and sevice, just to make sure they were working withing limits, etc, they both came back yesterday having passed all of the tests.

I probably wont bother getting them done again for a while if i'm being honest, as they will only be used for my own personal use and even then very infrequently.

I also bought a certified calibration test card like this : Calcard
I've just used this to check out the Cont/Ins tester and recorded all of the readings. My logic being that when i do use the machine in the future i can jus cross check that it is still reading what it is reading now - so still working properly.

How can i check the EFLI tester now so that i can cross check it again in the future, can i use the Calcard ?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
;) You now need to invest a bit of time to learn about testing, and how the tests work - you can't use that card for doing EFLI measurements... ;)

There are 2 ways to log the performance of your loop tester:

1) Pick a socket in your house and test that, and then always use that one. This does assume that your Ze never changes....

2) Put a socket in a small box with a low value resistor (0.5 - 1 ohm) that you can switch in and out of the earth path, and a flex & plug on it. Then you can plug that in anywhere as the absolute Zs value is irrelevant - it's the consistency of the change in the reading when you add in the resistor that matters.

You can also put an RCD in the box if you want.

Spookily I've just finished designing the layout of the checkbox I'm about to build...

Cheers B-A-S,

It was just the EFLI test that i wasn't totallly sure about.
I do have a dedicated non RCD socket that i can use for test purposes , I'd actually fogotten about it until i read your post.
Will have a play tomorrow, now that I've had the machines tested independantly.

Your cal tester looks smart. I was thinking of making somethig similar myself, but it just worked out cheaper and less hassle to do what i did in the end, at least know that all my stuff was working properly (a couple of days ago :)) !

Sponsored Links
Your cal tester looks smart.
We await the actual end results - photos will be forthcoming.

Need to decide whether to make do with the aluminium sheet I've got, that doesn't quite fit, or buy a piece. It will all fit quite nicely in one of these wot I already have, with space for flex storage inside.

702349_inset2_xl.jpg

I was thinking of making somethig similar myself, but it just worked out cheaper and less hassle to do what i did in the end,
But where's the fun in buying something when you can make your own for twice the price?

at least know that all my stuff was working properly (a couple of days ago :)) !
Well I still need to get my gear calibrated...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back