Just had a compression joint blow off a plastic hose. Why???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
I'm part way through preparing my bathroom for a new suite and have had the combi & cold mains feeds to the batroom capped off with compression isolation valves for the last week.
Today I was just wrapping PVC round the pipes to mark them hot & cold, but the compression joint blew off the cold pipe. I had used a plastic insert with rubber seals, but wondered if it just blew off due to me bending the pipe & the compression nut not being tight enough???

I was like the boy with his finger in the dam where I was able to push my thumb over the pipe while the missus turned off the stopcock & turned the downstairs tap on to releive the pressure. I've now changed the olive & re tightened the compression joint, but if it does it again I might just buy a pair of push fit isolation valves?

Sponsored Links
i think when using plastic you need the insert without the extra rubber ring, this makes the pipe not push into the compression fitting enough.

Sounds like you're using Speedfit?? As Steve said, you can get special inserts for use with compression fittings and these should be used. Alternatively, why not just use pushfit stop ends?

Here's what JG Guest say.

CONNECTION TO COMPRESSION FITTING
Many but not all compression fittings are suitable for use with
plastic fittings and pipe. Users should therefore check for
compatibility. Compression fittings with short tube stop depth
or brass olives should not be used with plastic fittings or pipe.
When using compression fittings with Speedfit pipe, a
Standard Pipe Insert (prefix TSM) must be used to
withstand the compressive pressure of the olive.
The olive
must be located within the the length of the pipe insert and
the pipe fully inserted into the fitting. The connection
should not need more than 2 full turns after the olive has
gripped the pipe. JG Speedfit recommend the use of soft
copper olives.

Sponsored Links
ok, what I have learned from this is that I should change the insert to a stronger one, maybe this one?
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/20652...ings/Flo-Fit-PE-X-Pipe-Insert-15mm-Pack-of-50

and also that I should change the brass olive to a copper one.

I have used stop ends at the end of the pipe runs, but have fitted isolation valves where the bath will be fitted so I can access them behind the bath panel in the future once the suite has been fitted.

Sould I just give up on the compression joint for safety sake and buy these push fit isolators instead?
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18814/Plumbing/Copper-Push-Fit/Conex-Cuprofit-Isolating-Valve-15mm

You still dont seem to have realised that you need to use an insert supplied by the manufacturer of the tube!

Not just any old insert but one specified as suitable for compression fittings.

You need to see what the TUBE maker requires and not just run off to Screwfix and buy the cheapest item on their list.

If you want a good job then you should use soldered copper pipe!

Tony

Tut Tut not the old copper is king stuff, pesonally i think copper in the hands of a diy`er is more likely to leak than plastic and also no tools other than cutters reqd.

Speedfit say use a copper olive only. Others say a brass olive. Speedfit have plastic inserts, others metal.

Speedfit say use a copper olive only. Others say a brass olive. Speedfit have plastic inserts, others metal.

Its very difficult to find ANY metal inserts for plastic pipe now!

Tony

Its very difficult to find ANY metal inserts for plastic pipe now!
It's very difficult if you just sit at home drinking wine.

The rest of us just go to a Hep2o stockist and ask for some bags of HX60 sleeves. :rolleyes:

You still dont seem to have realised that you need to use an insert supplied by the manufacturer of the tube!

Not just any old insert but one specified as suitable for compression fittings.

You need to see what the TUBE maker requires and not just run off to Screwfix and buy the cheapest item on their list.

If you want a good job then you should use soldered copper pipe!

Tony

Soldered copper pipe, or fittings?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back