Just had Survey from Hell on House we are buying....

No worries Planenut.
If there was a wealth of properties out there, this wouldnt be an issue. It is just that this place is in the right location to get into an amazing secondary school, as well as ticking all the boxes (big garden, period place etc)

I know that from what everyone says (and I would probably say if it wasn't me buying it) would be just walk away. But when it is you, and there is a shortage of these properties, you have to try and get as much information as possible before you do walk away, or take an educated risk.

I know that there is a risk of there being issues that cannot be seen by a surveyor, as he cannot look at things that would be considered damaging (lifting carpet / floorboards etc), but that would be the same for every property. I also know that those risks are higher seeing that the developer who we are buying (or not) from has made some pretty big errors (not tanking the basement before fully decorating etc) I am still trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he definitely has planted that seed of doubt that we will not be able to get rid of.

I am also aware that surveys do sometimes sound scarier that they really are. I found our survey for the house we are selling, and I know for a fact we didn't get many of those things fixed!!

They way I look at is that if there is no dryrot we are ok :)
Thanks

Nick

Sponsored Links
Well good luck but in your first posting you put...
"My wife is really worried and want to pull the sale, but I know that we could have a wonderful home here. The work is not bothering me too much. Of course we will get someone in to do it all... My DIY is bad....."

You must both agree to this, otherwise it will be "all your fault", and your DIY? you're going to have to do some of it.

Good luck

Anything can be repaired, its all a matter of cost and distruption, Its not a big job to lower the ground level to solve the issue of the dpc being too low
The roof may just need some new timbers and reslating
As for the cellar just watch films with water in and pretend its 3d lol, maybe the cellar is damp as the property hasn't been lived in, maybe the water table is high and it will always be damp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back