Just had Survey from Hell on House we are buying....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Just had a survey done on a renovated 4 bed semi house we are buying in kent, and it has not come back good... We are awaiting back the written survey by the end of the week, but so far the issues are.....

Leak in the roof, which has rotted and snapped a rafter. Lots of damp from this and we have been told that it needs a complete new roof.

Damp on all exterior walls, due to damp proof being below ground.

Basement that was being sold as a usable living space (3x4m) full of damp. Black mould, dehumidifier working etc... - even though it has been decorated, not tanked...

and other things....

My wife is really worried and want to pull the sale, but I know that we could have a wonderful home here. The work is not bothering me too much. Of course we will get someone in to do it all... My DIY is bad.....

The surveyor really said it was a touchup not a renovation....

So my questions are to do with cost....

With the roof, I always wanted to put in a loft extension, so this could be killing 2 birds with one stone... Is getting a loft extension a lot more money than just getting the roof completely fixed?? How long does this job usually take?

I presume chemical damp proof is the way to go.. Or digging out so that the damp proof is above ground? Which is best for the long term??

tanking the cellar - We want it to become our (my) cinema room. So it would need to be dry. Which way of tanking is best, and how much is it to get done properly??

Thanks guys...

MooseKat

Sponsored Links
Leak in the roof, which has rotted and snapped a rafter. Lots of damp from this and we have been told that it needs a complete new roof.
Told by who? have you had a roofer into look at this?

Damp on all exterior walls, due to damp proof being below ground.
Why is it below ground? Have they built something against it?

Basement that was being sold as a usable living space (3x4m) full of damp. Black mould, dehumidifier working etc... - even though it has been decorated, not tanked...
Sold as habitable with Building Regs approval??

My wife is really worried and want to pull the sale, but I know that we could have a wonderful home here. The work is not bothering me too much. Of course we will get someone in to do it all... My DIY is bad.....
Then you need to get quotes for all of the work, if the value is correct as is, you will need to work out if you can actually afford it and the works. NB your mortgage company may have issues with the value vs work.

I presume chemical damp proof is the way to go.. Or digging out so that the damp proof is above ground? Which is best for the long term??
A proper DPC is far better than chemicals, is there a proper DPC, if so, why is it below ground level?

Don't forget that surveys can often over stress stuff but also miss stuff out completely. If the renovation has been bodged, there maybe much more lurking in there.

None of it sounds unfixable.. you need to get quotes on the repairs with a view on what you were expecting when you offered..
Then ask for that to be deducted from the offer price..

Then get it done cheaper and pocket the extra..

Or simply back out..

As Static say's use it to your advantage, knock em down, especially if it had been on the market for a long time.

Sponsored Links
a renovated 4 bed semi house
Oh no it isn't!

As above you may be able to use this to your advantage but it sounds like there could be a lot more lurking under the surface. This definitely sounds like a bodge it and scarper job so even the best negotiation may still leave you with large repair bills so beware.

True the survey may be overstating some things but it still sounds a mess. Your mortgage company may also be somewhat wary.

H
Basement that was being sold as a usable living space (3x4m) full of damp. Black mould, dehumidifier working etc... - even though it has been decorated, not tanked......
tanking the cellar - We want it to become our (my) cinema room.

Assuming it's a two-storey house, the habitable basement will make it 3-storey, which means that the fire precautions will have to be upgraded to current standards (and higher standards as 3-storey)

Oh no it isn't!

As above you may be able to use this to your advantage but it sounds like there could be a lot more lurking under the surface. This definitely sounds like a bodge it and scarper job so even the best negotiation may still leave you with large repair bills so beware.

True the survey may be overstating some things but it still sounds a mess. Your mortgage company may also be somewhat wary.

Run away fast!
It's guaranteed to be much worse than it looks as they will no doubt have covered some nasties with paint and paper, unless you can get it at a knock down price and get the work done before moving in it will be a nightmare.
The fact it's marketed as "renovated" shows just how much of a **** take it is.

thanks for all the replies....

We had a full structural survey done, and luckily due to downsizing, we are not needing a mortgage (moving from the hustle and bustle of London)

It was the surveyor who viewed the roof. He also said that the rear patio and side access had been built up to be above the damp proof. The age of the house is about 1880, so this might have happend over time. Also we believe that it was unoccupied for some years before the guy bout the house to renovate...

As with the basement, it had also been fully decorated with carpet and electrical sockets on wall for a hung TV. I am not sure if it had been tanked or had building regs (this is what my solicitor is supposed to find out isnt it?), but is sure looks like the room is ready to be used....

I am slightly worried that if the developer has not done an amazing job, there might be other things lurking, but hopefully with a full structural survey, these things would be found. Buying a house is always risky, you just make sure you do what you can.....
Thanks

Nick

Oh no it isn't!

Run away fast!
It's guaranteed to be much worse than it looks as they will no doubt have covered some nasties with paint and paper, unless you can get it at a knock down price and get the work done before moving in it will be a nightmare.
The fact it's marketed as "renovated" shows just how much of a p**s take it is.

Thnks footprints.

I really like the house, and there is no way that I am going to pay over the odds for it. If all the works comes back at say £40k, I will only accbe looking to have £40k off the price.

[quote="footprints";p="2990074

I really like the house, and there is no way that I am going to pay over the odds for it. If all the works comes back at say £40k, I will only accbe looking to have £40k off the price.

If the quotes to fix known problems come back at £40K then you should be getting £60K of its value in a good condition, as you are taking the risk of all the unknown problems and cost overruns. Also take into account the cost of living somewhere while the work is being done.

Also the asking price normally more than a property is worth, so when comparing prices look at sold price not asking prices.

A full structural survey is only that. Surveys before you buy are always limited by one simple problem. They rarely include for defects and issues not visible. So unless carpets and floor boards are lifted, cladding or plastered removed, you simply don't know what is underneath. Read the survey carefully for what is not covered.

You imply the owner bought the house to renovate. - In other words to spend as little as possible to get the maximum return. The facts that so many issues remain really mean it is an extremely risky buy. As for quotes by builders, they may cover what you/they can see, but be prepared to spend loads more for what they uncover.

The price should reflect not only the work that obviously needs doing but in this case the risk as well. All the seller needs is one keen punter to fall in love with it to make his money at the buyers expense.

Thanks guys,
I know at the moment it is a sellers market. After speaking to our estate agent (who is selling our house), he has told us not to automatically expect a reduction in price to cover all the works. I have hopefully got a damp and timber survey next week (before they are inundated as the waters receed). I am also going to get a roof company in to look at repair the roof.

One thing I want to add, as when I spoke to the surveyor on the phone after the inital survey, and receiving the written report, he had changed from telling me that we need a whole new roof (phone) to fixing the leaks and replacing rafters. Also the report did not include any approximate prices for repairs or photos. Is this correct??

Also can you sometimes get consent to have carpets and laminate lifted to check under? Can people put cameras through airbricks to check under floorboards??

Thanks

Why not look for a decent place and increase your top price by perhaps 25K?

The reason we are still trying to get this place is that there is nothing else available..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back