Just how hard is 2391??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi iv been a spark for 6 years now and spent 3 of them testing for a company so i know how to test. But i haven't got my 2391 yet and want to do this in october. All sparks i know that have done it say it's really hard and require you to know the regs inside out( i know parts of it but it's impossible to know everything written in there). All i want to know is what the exam is all about , can't find it on internet. cheers

Sponsored Links
The written consists of 2 parts A and B. Section A is 20 questions that IMO are about 25% harder than those on the 2381. each question carries about 3 marks each.

Section B consists of about 6 questions that are more difficult, more sums based. e.g they will give you a sinario say a house extension and give you some of the information i.e. R1+ R2 and PFC, they then ask you to calculate the rest and fill out an EIC. Stuff like that,

Is is Regs based, mainly in section A I would say

Think you have to get at least 60% on each paper with a total of over 80% so even if you get 100% on A you still need over 60% on B (edit does that add up I dont know tis what we were told anyhow)

The practical consists of 3 easy tests. Faults board, Insulation resistance and Zs measurement

The big test is a full PIR on a 3ph board with single ph sub main. Highly pressured with a bonce looking over you shoulder all the time, easy to make a mistake and they are very big on safety i.e. safe isolation etc.

Thank you for your quick replies it has made things much clearer thanks.

Sponsored Links
I heard that it is hard, some of the guys pre-booked for the next exam. assuming that they will fail.
My advice:
Take a course, not private but in a college (a bit longer but much cheaper)
Get the guidance note 3 Inspection and testing, (if you do not have it yet).

You can pass the exam it is not impossible, I retrained from being an engineer in a different field (no knowledge of electrics work or regulations) and done the 2391 in parallel with the third year of 2360, if I could do it you can do it.

oh yea forgot to ask can you have your regs with you or is it closed books.

No fraid Not no books at all just pen and calculator

You need to know your stuff and be able to calculate R1 R2 Zs Ze given resistance values and things like that you need to show the examiner that you can test SAFELY during the practicals. You don't need to know the regs inside out but really what's appropriate to Inspecting and Testing - GN3, GS38 etc

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Testing-Ele...2952413835/ref=pd_sim_b_5/203-5272476-5236709

This books pretty good

http://groups.msn.com/SparkyHeaven/general.msnw

Have a look at the learning Zone on here

http://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/

Another useful site

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back