Just how thin can a ceiling skim be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Wondered if you can give me an idea on how thin (or thick) a ceiling skim needs to be to get away with it.

The boards were relatively flat when using a spirit level so was a good surface to skim to.

The plasterer did the skim but is it normal to be able to still see where the joins are. We used scrim tape which is ever so slightly visible in places.

Apart from the joins being visible (still flat to the touch though) I'm happy with the finish. Am I right in thinking the join linea will disappear when painted or does this need a thicker coat.

Cheers everyone

View media item 65366 View media item 65367

Sponsored Links
When you think how thin the scrim tape is, it's shocking that after 2 coats of finishing, you can still see it. Just shows how thin the plaster has been put on. I put more butter on my sandwiches than some of these "plasterers' put stuff on the wall. No,, you shouldn't be able to see any tapes at all is the answer.

if you can feel the joints then they will be visible after paint, in your case it looks like you may be able to feel them as the joints are grinning so badly through the skim

Sponsored Links
I agree with the above.

Plus, far too much water has been used.

You can also see a multiplicity of grinning trowel edges/lines, stopping and starting, and going in various directions.

Its no big deal to fix: apply self adhesive scrim, PVA (50:50) once, and when PVA is tack, skim again.

Lay it on one way - across the light, and polish it in long strokes away from the light/window.

Others probably have better ways of dealing with it.

You are right steve, but i've such a horror of call backs that its belt & braces for me everytime.

Thanks for the replies. So it's dried and you can't really feel the joints but you can still see them. What'll happen if its too thin, will it crack?

skim has no structural strength whatsoever and even if it was laid on properly it would be max of around 5mm

The reason it cracks is due to movement ie not enough screws ,or ceiling joists which have movement or where there are joints no nogging was installed

If you can not feel the tape then likely when it is dry the paint will cover it

Good luck ,I dont think you will want a huge mess again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back