Just installed first shower but ..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi . Just installed my first shower and it is working perfectly so many thanks to you who advised on my previous posts :D

but i have one very slight problem , the shower is installed over the bath and the waste water takes a while to drain off .

What is the best and easiest way around this ..

Do I have to increase the waste water pipe angle which means drilling a new enternal hole or is there a fast flow trap i can buy ..

Many Thanks

Jason ..

Sponsored Links
How long is the waste pipe? What sort of trap do you have? How steep is the waste pipe fall?

The waste pipe is about 6ft long which goes straight out to the drain i am in a bungalow , pipe is about 4inch from the floor at the front of the bath and 2inch at the rear ..

Trap or plughole blocked, have you taken the trap off to clean it out?

Sponsored Links
Yep done that ..

I think it is more to do with the amount of water ..

The "logjam" is most likely due to the restriction created by the design of plughole.

Anyone got any experience of a fast flow waste , do they work ??

Anyone got any experience of a fast flow waste , do they work ??
Obviously they do, hence their name. However, the problem will still be the size and design of the chrome plughole.

As I see it, you have one of several choices some of which are:
1/. Find a different style of plughole with larger holes in it
2/. Use an inline pump to try to "suck" the water out
3/. Enlarge the plughole and install a shower waste.
4/. Live with it

5/. Fit a flow restrictor to the shower. Measure how fast the current waste takes away water and fit the closest rated flow restrictor.

I'd go for option 4. Its a bath and it's not likely to overflow, is it.

The thing about the flow restrictor is that the op has (if memory serves me correctly) installed a pump to increase the flow ;)

Option 1 sounds best if that does not work == option 4 will surffice ..

:) :) :) :)

It might be worth trying (and if it works, regularly using) caustic soda or a good proprietary drain cleaner. Block off the overflow outlet and vigourously apply an unblocking plunger - if you find you're sucking up evil smelling debris then have a go with the cleaner. And invest in a Dossil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back