Just laid my new lawn, should it be rolled

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had my new lawn for 5 days now. 75m2 using rolawn turf

I'm keeping it moist all the time by watering but I wondered should I go over it with a roller or not?

Also how long should it be left until it is cut

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Don’t even think about using a roller. If the ground was levelled properly before the lawn was laid then you should have a perfect level lawn. If it wasn’t then get them back to sort out any bumps and hollows. I say ‘should have’ because turves can vary in thickness by small amounts but this should have been compensated for at the time of laying. If not then it might be still possible to roll back the odd piece and place some topsoil underneath where necessary. Bumps will require a little more work at you will have to remove some topsoil to level them. However, if this is the case then get them back to do the job properly.

Cut it long about 10 days after it has been laid and gradually reduce the height of the cut over a two week period until you reach the desired length. Continue watering until the roots penetrate the soil. You can check this by lifting the odd piece - if it lifts easy then the roots have not penetrated yet. Water at night or when the sun is off the garden and remember it may not be necessary to water if the following day is cloudy. Check every now and then that the underneath is not drying out and water accordingly. Make sure the edges are well watered as these will dry out quicker. Buy a good lawn book.

Have fun.

Stan

have to agree. if your using a roller to even it out, then it hasnt been laid properly in the first place.

Sponsored Links
I laid the lawn myself!

It seems level enough to me but a couple of people have said to go over it with a roller which i thought was strange so i thought i'd check

the roots are beginning to take hold in the soil :D

thanks

then im sure its a perfect job. i bet they know lots about laying lawns! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back