Just noticed a bit of yellowish flame (along with blue) on my gas hob, is this an urgent issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20190102_140204.jpg

I have been planning on getting my gas cooker safety checked anyway but today I noticed the yelowness of the edges of the flame. I rarely use the cooker so it could have been like this for an ongoing period.

Is this something serious? It's a bank holiday today so I guess my only option would to phone BG to try and get an engineer out to look at it if it needs checked urgently

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You are worrying about nothing, and if you call BG they will simply turn off the gas supply and tell you to call a registered engineer

You are worrying about nothing, and if you call BG they will simply turn off the gas supply and tell you to call a registered engineer
Ok thanks for the reply so this looks fairly normal to you? I remember being told yellow flames indicated a gas leak hence my concern

Sponsored Links
no yellow flames indicate incomplete combustion, nothing to do with gas leaks, as already advised probably just needs cleaned

Thanks that's good to know regarding the leak /incomplete combustion then. Thanks for taking the time to reply

Possibly needs a good clean.

Clean it all up, put it back together properly and run the hobs for a few minutes with the doors and windows open.

Thanks, I took it apart and wiped away debris etc and it seems to look a bit better now
20190102_143412.jpg

Is this the type of thing (gas cookers) that should be periodically checked for safety by a registered engineer? The cookers been here since before I moved in so I've no idea how old it is.

Looks orange to me and that's just rust particles burning off...give the top thump and you'll see the flames change colour.

Is this something serious? It's a bank holiday today
You'll find out how serious when you go back in to work tomorrow and tell your manager you weren't in on 2nd Jan because you thought it was a bank holiday! If s/he laughs then you're in the clear!:LOL:

You'll find out how serious when you go back in to work tomorrow and tell your manager you weren't in on 2nd Jan because you thought it was a bank holiday! If s/he laughs then you're in the clear!:LOL:

There are parts of the UK where today is a Bank Holiday, and the OP seems to be in one of them!

no yellow flames indicate incomplete combustion, nothing to do with gas leaks, as already advised probably just needs cleaned

The power of punctuation......................................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back