Just removed render - help on tidying up after please !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bay window...

I have just removed all the render (it was up to the windowsill) - and I need some help saving the bricks underneath please !

Some of the render could be pulled off by hand, and some took a good deal of work.
The whole area was damp, with black mould & earth climbing up a fair way.
At some point it's also been drilled & filled, 3 courses above the slate & airbricks.

I've rubbed down the bricks, and scratched out the old pointing (looked like concrete)
Below the slate DPC, the pointing was mostly earth, wet sand & invertebrate creatures.
Above that the pointing was crumbly - improving to OK in the top courses.

So just a few questions, if anyone can help that would be great !
- What's the best way to clean the black stuff & remaining cement render ?
- Should I be worried about the hairline crack down the front face ?
- When I repoint, do I need anything extra below the slate DPC ?
- Any recommended brick treatments, or should I just leave it alone ?

I'll be putting blocks on the concrete base, I suppose I could render up to the DPC line ?

thanks,

Sponsored Links
Hi Obviously the drilling was to install a chemical dpc so none of those bricks can be touched. the damaged bricks under dpc will need replacing as they are too blown. The black stuff assuming its mould will come off with a powerwasher and the rest of the render may come of with some brick acid stiff brushed on. Use 1:4 under dpc and 1:6 above dpc you can put waterproof additive in the mix if you like.

Hi Obviously the drilling was to install a chemical dpc so none of those bricks can be touched. the damaged bricks under dpc will need replacing as they are too blown. The black stuff assuming its mould will come off with a powerwasher and the rest of the render may come of with some brick acid stiff brushed on. Use 1:4 under dpc and 1:6 above dpc you can put waterproof additive in the mix if you like.

thanks for the info,
if I can't find matching bricks / corner bricks, any tips on filling / re-rendering up to the DPC level ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back