Just spotted damp problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just found this in the spare bedroom:

View media item 40825
This is outside:

View media item 40826
Its my understanding that there is an original DPC which is the black line and then there has been something injected as well. The black DPC seems to be at about the same level as the top of the skirting board.

I did note that there is a lot of the plastic plugs missing which I assume are where something has been injected. I assume that all these plugs should be present. Can I just buy some or seal them up?

Not sure how long it has been there but we have had guests in it for the first time since we moved in. We have always noticed a smell but never seen anything before.

How should I start investigating this?

Sponsored Links
Whats the chance that water is getting in through the edge of the roof and sitting on the DPC?

Has the room been left with the radiator turned off, unaired and the bed against that wall?

Its condensation!

Bed was against the wall.

Guests staying for the first time in this room. (More water vapour from then and extra showers).

Not noticed it before and not really any marks on the wall paper to suggest this has happened in the past.

We do get a lot of condensation on the windows so this is definitely a possibility.

Just had a quick look with ladder and mortar does not seem too bad.

It just concerns me that its exactly the correct level to be sat on the DPC.

How can I prove one way or the other?

Mick

View media item 40829 View media item 40830 View media item 40831

Sponsored Links
Seems like you may have a blocked cavity at DPC level, which would make any injection treatment ineffective.

If this was the case, then it could be either rising damp, dampness running down the wall or splashing up it, or condensation damp due to a cold area of the wall

Bed was against the wall.
I'm with alastairreid on this one, most likely pocket air trap condensation therefore no air flow circulation
We do get a lot of condensation on the windows so this is definitely a possibility. How can I prove one way or the other?
Stop breathing :) most common problem in bedrooms are breathing cause moisture so need to ventilate well to remove moisture would be the first thing to do

Also could be as mentioned by woody, mortar droppings when the cavity was built bridging the damp across, I used to use 2"x1" batten to prevent this

It's nothing to do with the plugs. If it's not a bridged cavity then suspect interstitial condensation.

1. Much good advise already given: for my two cents it's classic "rising damp" due to a blocked cavity. If it was condensation there would be mould spots by now, and further condensation evidence at the wall ceiling angle.

2. is the roofing felt visible below the tile? you can view from the loft hatch.

3. a worthwhile possibility would be to pay a builder to remove an exterior corner brick or two and examine the gable cavity for bridging and blockage snots. If the cavity is clear, and deep, then you've eliminated penetrating damp.

4. i bet a pound to a penny that the original DPC is sound and that the mercenary installer/surveyor merely called for injection without thinking thro what he/she was seeing.

5. to inject the interior skin from outside requires double drilling from outside and the dpc holes in the pic are too small for double drilling to have taken place: ie. only the outside skin was drilled and injected.

Interstitial condensation doesn't work like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back