K reg mondeo handbrake

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My handbrake needs adjusting on my Mondeo and I can't see any way of adjusting it. The shoes look fine and the cable is not siezed. Help.

Sponsored Links
My handbrake needs adjusting on my Mondeo and I can't see any way of adjusting it. The shoes look fine and the cable is not siezed. Help.

Not 100% sure , but if your car has drum brakes on the rear then the chances are your self adjusters have seized up, they work on a ratchet principal and should adjust every time the handbrake is applied.

Release the handbrake, chock the front wheels so the car can't move, then jack up each rear wheel in turn , and remove the brake drum, you will see the adjuster between the brake shoes, remove and free it up, a trace of coppaslip to lubricate.
Manually click the adjuster round, until the drum will just go back on, do the same on other side, and your handbrake will work, you will also find a difference, in your brakes generally, as a lot of lost travel will have been removed in adjusting the handbrake.

Wotan

The problem is I can't see any type of adjuster. Is it hidden somewhere or am I just stupid.

The problem is I can't see any type of adjuster. Is it hidden somewhere or am I just stupid.

I was wrong in my assumption, the adjusters are elswhere.

Just enter 'Adjusting Mondeo handbrake' into Google, there are quite a few hits, I'm sure you will find what you want

Sponsored Links
Back