nissan terrano handbrake

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my 1994 terrano failed mot on nearside handbrake efficency being no good. i assume that the foot brake is fine and handbrake cable need adjusting , anyone any ideas fixing fault , many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I can't speak for this particular vehicle, but most 4x4's like these have disc brakes on the back that are operated by the footbrake, and the handbrake has its own small pair of shoes, with adjusters, incorporated in a drum just behind the disc...so to reveal the drum and shoes, the disc has to be removed. Its worth checking these out first, unless you can see that the handbrake cable has snapped. Cheers John

i know that no disc on my model, quite old only self adjusters on drum brakes, my feeling and hopefully siezed cable .would self adjustment mechanisam cause fault by not keeping tension on brake shoes ?

If the vehicle passed OK on the footbrake but wasn't happy when the handbrake was tested, then yes, you must suspect a broken cable or maybe a seized handbrake compensator...thats the device that equals the pull on both sides. Its always best to set each rear brake up first though, and you simply can't trust 'automatic' adjusters....with the vehicle jacked up and the handbrake on a few clicks, I check that the drag on each wheel is about the same - even if it means operating the 'self' adjusters manually.

Sponsored Links
Back