Nissan Micra Handbrake adjustment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife has a mk2 Micra (the rounded one, 1994 vintage) and the handbrake lever pulls up a bit too far. It's probably perfectly ok, it holds the car on every slope we've used it on but the MOT is due next month so I suppose I ought to have a quick look.

How do you adjust it? I had a quick look underneath without jacking the car up and the cables disappear under the exhaust heatshield. I haven't tried removing the handbrake cover inside the car yet either although I did remove what looked like an ashtray and there was nothing underneath.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just a wee issue with these.....often enough, the automatic adjusters on the rear wheels don't adjust automatically :rolleyes: which can give excess handbrake lever travel.
Its worth popping the rear drums off (both wheels in the air) and turning the small ratchet wheel manually with a screwdriver. If you look at the mechanism, it can turn easily one way, but not the other.
If you feel confident, turn each adjuster about 4 clicks, put the drums back on and see how things are at the lever.
Check when you pull the handbrake on that each wheel drags approximately the same amount. Its simple enough to back the adjusters off again.
The cables are adjusted by removing the handbrake lever shroud - 10mm spanner needed if I remember correctly.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Piece of cake. Took the drums off, couldn't see any adjusters accessible through the back plate though. Clicked the auto adjuster round one click and that was just enough. The handbrake cable can easily be adjusted without removing any covers from the handbrake lever.

Thanks

Back