Sills filling with water ??

ABN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a 1989 Nissan Micra 3 door hatchback which we've had for a few years.

The car is parked on a slope facing downwards and just recently noticed that the passenger footwell fills up with water whenerver it rains. Have been checking roof/dashboard etc, i.e. areas above the footwell, for signs of wetness to try to esablish where the water is getting in but they are always bone dry.

Noticed when the wife drove off the slope onto the level that water was pouring out from underneath the car. Also when parked a slow dribble from around the front mudflap.

So what I am now thinking is that when it rains the sill is filling with water and getting into the car that way.

Do you think that is the likely answer and any ideas how the water could be getting into the sill in the first place?

Any help appriciated :)

Sponsored Links
I had a similar prob, I eventually discovered it was from the doors.

Rain runs down the glass, then past the worn-out rubber seal into the door.

There should be a polythene sheet liner to persuade the water to run down it and out through drainage holes in the bottom of the door.

In my case the poly sheet had been disturbed during a dent repair and not taped back properly.

If you take the trim panel off the door you may see if this is the trouble.

Look at the other door to see how it should be fastened - may be with a gun-applied sealant.

Thanks for the reply.

Did wonder at first whether the water was comming in via the door.

The carpet immediatly below the door is bone dry, also pulled off the door panel and all seems dry in there. So don't think the water is getting in via the door.

Sponsored Links
check the drainage holes,open it fully and look into the channels,usually there are small holes to divert the water out that get blocked,can be cleaned out with a coat hanger or similar,try sitting in it while someone directs a hosepipe at the different areas

Wife has taken the car to work, will check when she gets back.

But it's only one of those cheep glass ones, not a tilt and slide, so don't think it has channels, just squashes down on a rubber seal from what I remember. Also as the roof lining does not get wet, would not have thought that is the problem.

ch427 said:
try sitting in it while someone directs a hosepipe at the different areas
had thought of doing that but
a) not sure where one stands on this what with the hoes pipe ban and all. (neihbours can be a problem at times, they have reported other ppl for different things)
b) IF it is getting in though the body skin into the sill and out to the footwell then wouldn't be able to tell the real entry point as it would not have an immediate effect.

Just use the hosepipe, if your neighbour calls the police, tell them the water in the car was condensing on the screen and therefore dangerous, then buy a dog and train it to sh1t in your neigbours letter box.

JohnD said:
There should be a polythene sheet liner
I believe this is to prevent condensation in the door. ;)

Have you been round the car and checked all the drain holes? There should be some in the sills, bottem of the wings etc. If some of these were blocked it could cause water to lay in one end of the sill.
Could be that if water has been laying in the sills for some time, you have got rust holes into the cabin that let the water in.

To treat the symptom not the cause, you could try parking your car in the opposite direction on the hill. :)

Did wonder about drain holes but at the time didn't notice any. Was thinking of drilling some but then thought better of it since its a box section and forms part main structure/strength.

Will look more carefully for some drain holes.

But, even if there are some and they are blocked, still feel there is an underlining problem as to why the water should get in them in the first place. More worried about the water rusting the sills from the inside out (mot failure etc) than the carpet.

Well just tried the hoes pipe.

Would seem the water is getting in via the sunroof seal. The sunroof does have a channel with drain holes. You can hear the water "gluging" down thus don't think the drainage hole are blocked.

Have lifted the carpet in that area and can see the water pouring in from around the sill area.

Niether side have drainage holes in the bottom of the sill so next job is to find out why the water comes into the car rather than out of it, then where to get a new seal for the sunroof. Any ideas on getting a replacement seal?, it doesn't look like a factory fitted sunroof.

p.s.
Anyone know where to buy a tall dog just in case its needed :D

the water must go somewhere from the sunroof,most cars ive had have had tubing running down to discharge around the front mudflap area,have a look around to see where the water drips from when you pour into the sunroof channels

I think you may need to remove the roof lining to see if the drain tubes are intact and to check if the water is draining away as it should or is it running down in the door posts and onto the floor where it joins the inner sill ? Also check if you have drain tubes on the bulkhead and are they blocked with leaves etc. ?

A watering can is as good as a hose.

;)

Sponsored Links
Back