Mondeo MK4 handbrake adjustment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mondeo 2.2 Titanium X
Does anybody know what the recommended Ford setting is for this handbrake?
I don't want to know how to adjust it. I'd like to know what the "Ford" setting is.
Anybody know?

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you mean?

The handbrake must pass the yearly brake test for imbalance and efficiency? But it doesn't matter if it hold the vehicle on the first click of the ratchet or the forth. That detail is left up to the mechanic adjusting the cable.

Maybe I wasn't very clear.
What I'm trying to find out is; how do Ford recommend setting this handbrake?
i.e. what does their manual say regarding the setting?
For instance, it might say something like;
Apply three clicks on the handbrake lever then adjust the cable until the rear brake is binding.
I have no interest in where the tensioner is or, what an MOT tester/mechanic might think.

At three clicks, the handbrake should be just on.......by six clicks, it should be fully on.
Adjusting to less than three clicks can cause the handbrake to grab as the suspension moves, I'm told.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that's why I was wondering.
It's full on at three clicks and feels as though it's on a wee bit at times.
It's going back to the dealer on Wednesday for a couple of other things and I'd like the handbrake looked at but I don't want to be told it's within spec and be made to look as if I don't know what I'm talking about.

If you feel the brake is binding, the wheel area will be warm, maybe hot.
If it's cool at all times, I doubt if any adjustment will be done.......and the MOT tester wouldn't want to see more than 6 clicks!
The Mondeo rear brake is a straight forward design, but enjoys a clean out yearly!
John :)

Back