K Rend cracking 6 months (pictures)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi All,

I was hoping for some advice in regards to a recently rendered house.

My house was rendered back in October. We used K Rend. We had also had a fibreglass roof fitted the month previous (it's a flat roof).

Yesterday while walking up the road I noticed a crack near the top of the roof. I will be asking the renderer to come back and take a look but since I'm not that knowledgeable on the subject and don't want to be fobbed off, any advice anyone has or ideas on the cause would be great.

To the best f my knowledge it was applied correctly. My only thoughts on it are that there is not enough of an overhang to ensure that water does not get behind the render. It may have gotten behind and frozen over winter forcing the render off the wall. I have tried to take a photo showing how little overhand there is.

If this is the case I guess the cheapest solution is to hack off the blown render, patch it up (I'm aware it wont be the same colour). Then modify the roof to ensure there is an appropriate covering to stop water getting behind the render?

Any other ideas suggestions?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to have an overhang on the roof, even if that is just having it lapped over the render .

Hard to say if the crack is structural or frost until it's hacked off.

It's a prime place for a crack as the upstand is only bonded by a couple of bricks with no weight on it.

Belt and braces for me would have mesh there, as it is a stress point, in the same way as I put 500mm band around doors and windows.

But that is not standard, so it's not the spreads fault if the bricks crack or frost gets on.

However, if you hack off and see a crack in e brickwork and there us render IN the crack, then he should have seen it and taken action.

A scruffy attempt has been made to caulk the edge of the fascia join - so someone at sometime knew that something was "wrong"?

That edge of the flat roof will(should) have a raised edging piece to prevent water running off the roof side.

How the fibreglass is detailed at the edging/fascia is not possible for me to see?
A lead cover flashing would have returned around the external corner.

The upstand of fibreglass is going into a parapet - and parapets built like that are prone to thermal stress cracking.

Is that an access hatch on the roof or a water tank?

Thanks for the replies.

I should point out the caulking is me, after the cracking took place.

The house was built in the 1930s and there are no signs of the structure moving with cracks etc. However the parapet was taller and the roofers hacked off a lot of it, so maybe it's settling from this still?

The rood does have a raised edge around it to stop water running down the sides. The rain does hit the side of the house where the crack has appeared, especially at the frontish end where it's not protected by our neighbors house. Which is why I was concerned water and frost could work it's way in behind the render. Is this likely?

The fibreglass roof on the front has a gap where the render goes under it a little and there is a little curved bit of plastic under it, like this but cut in half.

http://www.condell-local.co.uk/Prod...1VPQSbVHhvJQbcsMsQktwwC346-FKEKADbBoCifbw_wcB

However on the side and back the rendering just meets the fibreglass roof as in the picture and touches ir, or stops a mm short, with very little overhang.

If you're referring to the white thing, that's a chimney stack, o water tank or access hatch I'm afraid!
Does anyone have any advice on what my next steps should be?

Many thanks for your help and insight so far.

Sponsored Links
You could fill the render crack(s) with a Polysulphide mastic and wait and see?

Rearranging the roof/fascia detail would be a site call, hopefully by the roofer who installed the roof cover.

Your text description of the front and rear details only takes me so far. Referenced pics are needed.

google pics of flat roof details for "drip pieces" that force the roof covering away from the fascia.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back