Karcher pressure washer k4 hardly works despite removing airlock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I havw a karcher K4 eco model. I find it useless in the last year or so. I know about the airlock issue and the process of running water through the system for like 5 mins. I have done this several times, and what I find is that I need to take these steps for like 3/4 weeks and one day it can randomly start working.

If often starts working when I have given up and decided to chuck it away, all of a sudden I run water through it and it starts to work. I feel the issue is more than airlock, I feel like I have a system that doesn't work when I need it to work.

Any ideas please ?

Sponsored Links
Does your hose pipe have Hozelock type connectors for the tap or the machine & if so do they have non return valves built into them as they can restrict the flow to the machine if fitted both ends of the hose or the wrong way round on just one end.

They have the hozelock type and I believe they are the non return type where if the tap is opened and hose connected no water comes out unless you use your finger to push the non return plastic stuff or connected to a male connector as seen one jet washer. Is that what you mean?

I can break out the non return plastic stuff as I don't see how this can be fitted incorrectly, looks simple enough and also when bleeding out airlock I can see water flowing through then it just doesn't come on after bleeding for 30 minutes.

Yes that is what I mean, the male connector on the Karcher does not open them enough ( if at all ) to allow a good flow when the washer starts up.

Sponsored Links
Yes that is what I mean, the male connector on the Karcher does not open them enough ( if at all ) to allow a good flow when the washer starts up.
Thanks once more. I replaced both ends to use an open hozelock connector with non return valve and bled the washer for like 15 mins. It still wouldn't turn on. I feel this Is a far bigger problem.

Let me provide an update, I took the device to a friends house who doesnt have a water softener as I felt that the water softener may be letting air into the system, just to try out a theory. After bleeding the system for 40 minutes, it starts to work, but there is a twist. It makes a humming noise every 3 seconds, irrespective of if it is being used or not.

From the research that I have done, it appears to be a capacitor issue when it starts to make that kind of noise, I have ordered a replacement one and will change it this weekend hopefully. I will like to know why I have to bleed the system every time, it was never like this for a few years when i first bought the item, i rarely use it, lets say once every 2 months or once a month at best.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back