Karcher Pressure Washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I have a Karcher pressure washer which I've had for a few years but has only had light use and hasn't been used for the last 2 years. It was working fine last time I used it.

When I turn it on it makes a humming sound as if it wants to start going, but doesn't. I've tried bleeding it, cleaning the inlet filter, checking the high pressure hose etc. I took the cover off and found that when it hums if I give the motor fan a helping hand, the machine starts up and runs ok until I release the trigger. It won't start on it's own.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Usually this is a sign that the motor start capacitor has gone AWOL.....simple to replace if its external, but on some types the capacitor is done away with, and the motor has starting windings instead.
John :)

Thanks, just what I thought. That is the white cylindrical bit bolted to the motor then? Looks like a giant strip light starter?

Thats the one.....its value should be marked in microfarads or uf.
Karchers UK number is 01295 752083 but you could try espares or similar.

Sponsored Links
Thank you John, very much appreciated.

I was just wondering, why does the motor need a capacitor? Just wondering how this set up works? And does this capacitor hold electric charge like a telly - do I need to be careful when handling it?!

A final question - you sound like you have dealt with Karcher before and so I was just wondering whether Karcher are normally more or less expensive than websites like espares? I'm just wondering whether to wait for next week when I can order from espares tonight....

Many, many thanks, if this works it's going to save me at least £80 as I would otherwise be paying Karcher their fixed £96 charge. Really appreciate your advice.

EDIT: I've just taken the capacitor out and found that terminals are heavily corroded! So I must be getting to the bottom of this. Will see if I can get it to work tomorrow after I've cleaned up the contacts.....

One of the capacitor functions is to 'kick' the motor into life.....without it, the motor would simply oscillate at 50Hz -a slight shake, if you like - so the motor knows which way to spin when the cap comes into play.
It may be easier to get a capacitor from the likes of Maplins or RS rather than the real item. Just get one with the same working voltage and uf rating, and observe the polarity if appropriate.
The capacitor won't hold a charge for any length of time, but leave the machine alone for half an hour or so (never really rested that bit, but never had a shock either!)
Karcher are ok with dealing with the public, but a local repair outlet may be quicker if they have the part in stock.
Be lucky!

When I turn it on it makes a humming sound as if it wants to start going, but doesn't. I've tried bleeding it, cleaning the inlet filter, checking the high pressure hose etc. I took the cover off and found that when it hums if I give the motor fan a helping hand, the machine starts up and runs ok until I release the trigger. It won't start on it's own.
I'm not sure if the problem I've had is the same (although the humming sounds familiar), but I've found that if I start the machine up, then move the pressure slide on the lance to minimum and then quickly to maximum it seems to kickstart the machine into life...

I've just taken the capacitor out and found that terminals are heavily corroded!

for the price of a capacitor,i'm not sure i'd bother. there's every chance that the corrosion is because the dielectric fluid from inside the capacitor has leaked out which means it's *******sed. Clean it up and give it a go by all means, but don't spend all day on it, cos a new capacitor from maplins/similar (or ebay if you're stuck) should only be a few quid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back