Karndean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm laying vinyl (probably Karndean) over my UFH. I will have a weak screed mix between the joists and will be screwing 18mm ply to the joists. I will then get an approved floor layer in to fix the vinyl.

My concern is with the ply. At what centres should it be screwed and is there a danger that the screws will show through the vinyl, given that it is so thin?

Sponsored Links
My preferred spec for this situation is, rather than one sheet of 18mm ply, I always specify two layers of 9mm which is laid with staggered joints with the second layer glued and screwed. The danger of having one thickness is that any deflection will be concentrated about the joints and constant flexing will soon cause vinyl to crack. The two layer method avoids that because what you end up with is a complete floor membrane that can only deflect evenly across its whole surface. I would fix each layer at 300 c/s

PS. just had a Karndean floor fitted in my kitchen. It is absolutely brilliant. Warm under foot, practical and looks really top quality. Everybody who visits loves it and without fail they all reckon it must have cost a fortune. In fact the tiles and designer strips cost me £120 online and the fitter charged me £150 for the days work which included adhesive and latexing. (which he did the previous day) The floor is just under 10 sqm.

400mm (max) centres and countersink holes before screwing. along the joist you can space screws at 200mm centres. Make sure countersink is only just slightly below floor level as these holes will likely need "feather edge" to fill them. Karndean is only 2/3mm thick so never leave screws above floor level. Use a depth gauge with your drill and practice on a spare piece of ply to get the setting spot on.
You will also need HT (high temperature) adhesive.

I'm laying vinyl (probably Karndean) over my UFH. I will have a weak screed mix between the joists and will be screwing 18mm ply to the joists. I will then get an approved floor layer in to fix the vinyl.

My concern is with the ply. At what centres should it be screwed and is there a danger that the screws will show through the vinyl, given that it is so thin?

PS. just had a Karndean floor fitted in my kitchen. It is absolutely brilliant. Warm under foot, practical and looks really top quality. Everybody who visits loves it and without fail they all reckon it must have cost a fortune. In fact the tiles and designer strips cost me £120 online and the fitter charged me £150 for the days work which included adhesive and latexing. (which he did the previous day) The floor is just under 10 sqm.

Could you post a link to your supplier? Which range did you go for?

Where abouts are you? I'm stuggling to get a fitter.

Sponsored Links
These were the cheapest I found. I spoke with somebody on phone and they were very helpful. And the tiles arrived the next day. Can't argue with that.

http://www.direct-flooring.com/trolley.php

I've got Knight Tile range with 3mm design strips fitted in diamond pattern and a tramline border. The tiles come in boxes of 3.33m² (or something like that) so it was dead on 3 boxes to cover just under 10m². We had about 3 or four whole tiles left over plus a pile of cuts.

My fitter is local to Bristol so too far away for you. He was Karndean approved and was meticulous when it came to preparing the floor. Ours is concrete though so different situation to you. The fitter is very important here - it's dead easy to mess up with the wrong adhesive or incorrect prep. He was very keen to tell me that there's a thousand things that can go wrong and if you don't know what youre doing you'll never get it right - etc. etc.! Anyway, he did a fantastic job and we are very happy with it.

These were the cheapest I found. I spoke with somebody on phone and they were very helpful. And the tiles arrived the next day. Can't argue with that.

http://www.direct-flooring.com/trolley.php

I've got Knight Tile range with 3mm design strips fitted in diamond pattern and a tramline border. The tiles come in boxes of 3.33m² (or something like that) so it was dead on 3 boxes to cover just under 10m². We had about 3 or four whole tiles left over plus a pile of cuts.

My fitter is local to Bristol so too far away for you. He was Karndean approved and was meticulous when it came to preparing the floor. Ours is concrete though so different situation to you. The fitter is very important here - it's dead easy to mess up with the wrong adhesive or incorrect prep. He was very keen to tell me that there's a thousand things that can go wrong and if you don't know what youre doing you'll never get it right - etc. etc.! Anyway, he did a fantastic job and we are very happy with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back