kayak cart

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am making a kayak cart using the following design:
http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/diy-bulletproof-kayak-cart-build.html

However, I can't find the end caps that I'm supposed to drill a 5/8" hole through and put the treaded rod/axle through that.

I've tried instead to put the PVC end pipe round the past of the wheel but it then turns inside the PVC pipe. Would grease sort that out? I'm worried that it will wear through the plastic after a while:

z3qy.jpg

cjg.JPG

sxpx.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is this some idea of making the threaded axle captive then?
Would a large diameter washer on each end not do?
John :)

Is this some idea of making the threaded axle captive then?
Would a large diameter washer on each end not do?

Might work but I believe the idea of holes in the end caps was to hold the axle centrally in the pipe.
If I just use washers, won't the pipe sit loosely on the axle?
5+lower+side+view.JPG

6+Wheel+washer+nut.JPG

Ah right , I see what you mean.
Check out Screwfix 87263 for example....thats a 32mm solvent waste cap and plug that may do - depending on the dimension of your existing pipe.

Sponsored Links
Check out Screwfix 87263 for example....thats a 32mm solvent waste cap and plug that may do - depending on the dimension of your existing pipe.

it's 40mm piping, standard waste.
seems to be impossible to get waste caps for these in this country?!
also, those plugs screw onto the pipe and you need a coupler to join pipe to cap. I'm looking for a end cap to over pipe directly and glue it.

Would putting the pipe over the wheel like in my images work or will that wear out the pvc and put load on pipe instead of axle.

Any other ideas I might try?

Would putting the pipe over the wheel like in my images work or will that wear out the pvc and put load on pipe instead of axle.
Why are you using a much larger pipe than specified? You could have used 20mm electrical conduit along with metal fittings which are all standard making the build that much easier.

Why are you using a much larger pipe than specified? You could have used 20mm electrical conduit along with metal fittings which are all standard making the build that much easier.

I read 40 standard and though it was 40mm
either way, 20mm pipe is still more than the 16mm axle so not sure how to centre this
all the pictures in the build look like 40mm pipe, no?
the hole here is 5/8" = 16mm
2+Drilled+holes.JPG

Yeah, stop using plastic pipe and get a metal one.

The plastic is bound to wear or break quite quickly.

Kayaks are heavy enough to warrant a metal tube.

I still can't fully work out this one.....
Presumably, the threaded rod passes through the plastic axle tube, and then is locked in place - right? No way can it be allowed to rotate within plastic end caps!
So then, the wheels pass over the threaded 'stub axle' and spin on their own bearings?

The threaded bar needs to be clamped to a metal box section etc - plastic will wear away soooo fast.

This project is doomed imo.

OH yes it will - if it is not secured in the piping.

Whats the plan with this, put a kayak on and trek around hill & dale or just from car to water within a few yards?
I hope your not planning on towing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back