Keep getting air in rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

About 2 months ago I replaced my parents heating system up to but not including the boiler. Basically, plumber came in fitted combi to old system then I came in and ripped out all the old rads and pipework. Anyway, piped system up using 22mm flow to a 22x15x15x15 manifold. one 15mm for new extension (3 rads), one 15mm for remainder of downstairs (3 rads) and one for upstairs (3 rads and a dinky small towel rad) The return is done the same way. I've used Hep2o and have used the inserts.

Problem I have is pressure stays bang on 1 bar but over the course of a couple weeks all the upstairs rads get air in them. One of them gets about 90% air, the other maybe 30% air and the towel rad about 20% air.

One section of old copper remains on the upstairs section as it wasn't convenient to do at the time. this consists of old 22mm flow and ret, old system pump etc. I will on holidays rip up bedroom floor and get rid of all this so it will be 100% Hep2o. Could air be getting sucked in at a bad connection on the old copper? seems strange as pressure stays the same.

Any ideas of what to check would be appreciated.

Steve

Sponsored Links
1. Did you use barrier pipe? If not, air can permeate the pipe walls.
2. Are you sure its air in the radiators. Could be hydrogen from water attacking steel radiator interiors. Is there inhibitor in the system?

Sponsored Links
How was the show today?

Andy

I'm saying nothing! I browsed only and didn't buy a thing [darling]!
:whistle:;):D

It was a very enjoyable day and we were in my favourite gastro pub, eating ribeye steaks, cooked in a josper oven, by 4pm! I'm now peckish again and don't know what to cajole the missus into preparing for me, or what else to drink! :confused:

Best freebies of the day...

image.jpg

Why is 1 bar too low? the OP has given no indication that the system height is excessive or the boiler's located in a basement etc.

Why is 1 bar too low? the OP has given no indication that the system height is excessive or the boiler's located in a basement etc.

Normally set it to 1.2-1.4.
Not a declaration, but from here, I'd expect it to be at that range and see what happens during fully hot?!

Boiler is on ground floor. Just a normal up stairs down stairs arrangement. Fernox added at time of filling up. The pipe is double walled Hep2o. Tried to light the "gas" with a lighter when bleeding and also collecting in an upside down cup and no flame or pop. How can air enter system with no visible leaks yet pressure stays the same? All connections checked including under the floor downstairs. I kept joins to a minimum especially downstairs.

Didn't think 1 bar was especially low? Isn't 1-1.5 the accepted norm?

Boiler is on ground floor. Just a normal up stairs down stairs arrangement. Fernox added at time of filling up. The pipe is double walled Hep2o. Tried to light the "gas" with a lighter when bleeding and also collecting in an upside down cup and no flame or pop. How can air enter system with no visible leaks yet pressure stays the same? All connections checked including under the floor downstairs. I kept joins to a minimum especially downstairs.

Didn't think 1 bar was especially low? Isn't 1-1.5 the accepted norm?

Bleed air.
Secure clear bag over discharge/ pressure relief pipe end.
Fill system to 1.4bar, bleeding further air.
Check pressure via boiler display if you can.
Monitor bag contents over 24 hrs.
Water is getting out; air is getting in!
It could be leaking at HE and draining via condense trap/pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back