Keeping brushes "fresh" and de-clogged while worki

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've found plenty of info on how to keep paint brushes clean and well maintained AFTER a days work. But I cannot find much about how to do this DURING a days work....

I often use two brushes, for example a small 18 or 25mm sash brush for fiddly bits, and a 1.5 or 2" for main sections. What I find often happening is that when I switch back to the other brush, it has started to dry out already - even after just 10 minutes or so, making it much harder to use.

And another problem...... I find that the brushes get gunkier and more clogged as the day goes on. I never put more than just the tips of the brush into the paint. And I am using good quality brushes (Purdy and Axus Decor). The paint is waterbased.

I wondered what I might be doing wrong? Or is it more a case of I need to be doing something to keep the brushes feeling as good as they do at the start of the day?

Many thanks

Max

Sponsored Links
A rinse through with Paint Brush Cleaner works wonders, Dont bother with white spirit it dosen`t work.

Also for storage of brushes, a screw top container with enough brush cleaner to cover the bristles and you can leave the brushes in for days, a quick rinse with soapy water and then they come up like new again.

Almost as good as a "Painters Mate" Storage box. (far cheaper)

Hi all

I've found plenty of info on how to keep paint brushes clean and well maintained AFTER a days work. But I cannot find much about how to do this DURING a days work....

I often use two brushes, for example a small 18 or 25mm sash brush for fiddly bits, and a 1.5 or 2" for main sections. What I find often happening is that when I switch back to the other brush, it has started to dry out already - even after just 10 minutes or so, making it much harder to use.

And another problem...... I find that the brushes get gunkier and more clogged as the day goes on. I never put more than just the tips of the brush into the paint. And I am using good quality brushes (Purdy and Axus Decor). The paint is waterbased.

I wondered what I might be doing wrong? Or is it more a case of I need to be doing something to keep the brushes feeling as good as they do at the start of the day?

Many thanks

Max

I keep a water sprayer handy and just keep misting the brushes. A very slightly damp brush should not clog.

A rinse through with Paint Brush Cleaner works wonders, Dont bother with white spirit it dosen`t work.

Also for storage of brushes, a screw top container with enough brush cleaner to cover the bristles and you can leave the brushes in for days, a quick rinse with soapy water and then they come up like new again.

You missed the mention of waterbased paints me thinks.... ;)

"Painters Mate", do you mean the "Brush Mate"? Couldn't disagree with you more. At approx £18 or £55 for the BrushMate 4 or 20, they are a must for any professional decorator.

Before getting mine, I used to rinse the brushes in WS, then remove as much WS as possible before submerging them in Dulux Trade Brush Cleaner and Renovator, then I had to wash the brush and wait for it to dry (EACH DAY).

The Brush Mate saves me hundreds of pounds per year. I have a total of 6 and they only cost me about £20/30 per year to top up.

I know that some of the old school boys just leave their OB brushes in transmission oil, which they then wipe with dirty old rags before using, no thanks, not for me...

Sponsored Links
Hi all

I am using good quality brushes (Purdy and Axus Decor).

Max

Hi Max

Please don't take offence, none is intended.

I had never heard of Axus but after googling them they look like generic synthetic brushes, albeit better than the budget end.

I used to buy the Purdy multipacks but after visiting the USA I realised that there are vastly superior brushes. The Purdy mutlipacks are intended to be around brushes, ok for most things but not perfect for anything. Purdy, Wooster and Corona are all American firms and have some wonderful brushes that are suited to specific tasks.

Unfortunately here in the UK our brushes and paints are years behind the Americans, perhaps because of the size of our DIY market. If you want advice re brushes then please do go to http://www.bib-n-braces.com . It is a trade only decorating site, they tell diyers to eff of to here but it is the best UK decorators forum by far.

Good luck

You missed the mention of waterbased paints me thinks.... ;)

"Painters Mate", do you mean the "Brush Mate"? Couldn't disagree with you more. At approx £18 or £55 for the BrushMate 4 or 20, they are a must for any professional decorator.

Before getting mine, I used to rinse the brushes in WS, then remove as much WS as possible before submerging them in Dulux Trade Brush Cleaner and Renovator, then I had to wash the brush and wait for it to dry (EACH DAY).

The Brush Mate saves me hundreds of pounds per year. I have a total of 6 and they only cost me about £20/30 per year to top up.

I know that some of the old school boys just leave their OB brushes in transmission oil, which they then wipe with dirty old rags before using, no thanks, not for me...

Yep "Brush Mate", I was mixing it up with the filler, I have a couple of the 20 boxes and the 4`s, although previously I always used to use the Small dustbin efforts (kiddies containers) with Brush cleaner in them as storage for used brushes, worked just as well and a lot cheaper. Your mistake could be using White Spirit first.

best way to clean brushes used for oil paint is to suspend them in a jar of paraffin. The paint just falls out. Far better than white spriit or blue cleaner. the next day or when next wanted, jiggle them and brush off on newspaper or rag, and a spot of WS for the residue. Otherwise you can wash out in detergent and water and leave to dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back