Keeping emails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to remove and then reinstall Micro Office and with it Micro Outlook email client.

There are some emails that I would like to keep but I dont know how to copy them etc or put them in the new version.
Help Please

Sponsored Links
You can export your outlook/OE profile as .pst if you like.

In outlook:
File > Import and export .... > Export to a File > Personal Folder (.pst) > [then select what you want to include]

This will save all your emails as is.

When you reload Outlook, you can then do this:
Tools > options > mail setup > data files > ..Add > [make appropriate choice] > browse to where your recently created .pst file is.

Hope this helps some. :)

other option is to install outlook express, and import everything into it. Uninstall office, then import everything back when you've re-installed

Sponsored Links
This is for Outlook (2003 and 2007). Outlook Express is a completely different application and works in an entirely different way.

In Outlook go to File then New and select Outlook Data File.

Choose 'Office Outlook Personal Folders (.pst) and click OK

Select a location and enter a file name. Click OK

Type a meaningful name (eg 'Backup') in the 'Create Microsoft Personal Folders' dialog then click OK.

In Outlook you should now see 'Backup' or whatever you called it in the folder tree. Right-click Backup and choose 'New Folder'. Type a name for the folder (eg 'Mail'). Leave 'Folder contains' on 'Mail and Post items'

Drag whatever you want to keep into the folder above. Note: dragging an item will move it from your mailbox into the folder. Hold down Ctrl and drag in order to copy it.

If you want to keep some contacts create a contact folder in your Backup by making another folder and setting 'Folder contains' to 'Contact Items'. Do similar styeps for any other type of item such as calendar and Notes items.

Right-click on Backup and choose 'Close Backup'

You now have all the items you want to keep in a personal folder file. How much of your existing Outlook set up do you want to get rid of? Just the rest of the mailbox contents or all the settings for email accounts?

ISTR that removing outlook and outlook express does not remove the emails.
Because they are kept in a different location within your profile, so if you remove O/OE then reinstall all your emails will still be available.

Dont quote me though, best to backup your storage folder first.

There are two similarities between Outlook and Outlook Express:

1 the manfacturer

2 the word Outlook in the name

That's it.

With most software, if you remove the application then the data stays.

Outlook's data is easy to find. Assuming that there is no Exchange server involved then it's all in a file with a .pst extension. By default this is in

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

There may be more than one and you canput it anywhere you like.

Account settings for Outlook are in the Mail applet in Control panel.

The location of Outlook Express data depends on teh version of Windows. See

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188854 and
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670/EN-US/

for more information.

how about email them to yourself before you do what ever, then afterwards go on line and recieve the emails you sent earlier?

If it helps i use OE, not O. I have changed the store folder(different partition) , so when i have to format the hard drive, after i reinstall OE i change the store folder to where it is and all emails are back, but it does not put back the contacts, but you can get those from the emilas you still have

Reinstalling Office will not delete your emails. That is profile related, unless you specifically delete them they wont go anywhere. Most likely an OST in your applications folder.

It won't be an OST unless there is an Exchange server involved - in which case the OST is only an off-line copy.

With no Exchange server Outlook keeps stuff in a PST.

mixing work with pleasure again! forgive me yes it would be a PST, unless of course you have set your email to go through a local exchange server at home :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back