Keeping Front Door Closed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a brand new front door and i want to install a smart lock onto it. From what i can see the smart locks all need the cylinder type lock which will only hold the door in place once the lock is initiated. There is no latch on the door as the handle i have is one of those long pull handles without a latch.

As the door is brand new the weather seals around it are still quite tough and as a result the keep the door ajar rather than it closing and staying in place.

So - my question is...is there such a thing as a two way latch, or a ball socket type latch (the ones you have on wardrobes etc) that will be strong enough to keep the door in place but not need mr muscle to pull it open!

Sponsored Links
Eh?

Surely when you close the front door it's fully closed, thus enabling the smart lock to engage?

it takes 10 seconds to engage :( so when asking a postie to pop a letter in the porch and close the door behind them... i can't then ask them to stand there for 10 seconds until it locks

How does the postman get in through a locked door?

Sponsored Links
The smart lock unlocks remotely so i can unlock it for them if i am out

You will probably need an overhead closer. You can adjust closing speed and final latch.

Or perhaps you could fit a latch and knob.

I'm slightly confused, doesn't take much!

So the door that's having the smart lock fitted is the exterior front door, behind which there's a porch? And you want to ensure after you've let someone in that the door closes properly in case the person leaves it ajar after they leave? Is that it?

If yes then as JohnD says, the only way to ensure the door closes of its own accord if left ajar is to fit some form of closing mechanism e.g. overhead closer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back