Having trouble locking door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having an issue with locking my front door.

In normal circumstances to lock it, I close the door, then pull the door handle up and towards me(simultaneously in a quick movement), this releases the 3 latches (think they are called that) I then turn the key to lock.

Today though, I was having a lot of difficulty to release the latches. I really had to wrestle with the handle and use much more force, even then it would only work about one in five times.

It feels like something is blocking the release, the knack of pulling the door handle towards me and up at the same time was necessary to release latches. Sadly this knack 'thingy' seems to be having trouble now.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Have you tried operating the lock setting with the door open, if this works ok then you door simply requires adjustment. you might want to spray all moving parts with a release oil often the lock gear becomes gummed up...pinenot :)

Have you tried operating the lock setting with the door open

Yes, same thing happened.

Other than the 3 latches down the side of the door, is there anything else I should oil?

Is there an easy way to open up and oil the working parts?

Unless you can get the extension tube in to the gearbox and the like insitu, you'll have to take the lock strip off and spay everything that moves especially the gearbox, in fact once off the door look to see if there's a removable plate to it and grease the gearbox after having washed it out with white spirit, if it needs it. A little help video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWVXn8RKR8k ...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Oiling it worked perfectly :D

Just took a few hours for the oil to 'seep in'.

No need to take it apart.

thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back