Keeping home cool, what options are there?

I can turn on the portable AC when really hot weather, but the problem is it produces condensate which needs emptying. However no such problem with fans, however it would be nice to automate them, so at least they stop as evening approaches, or of course if outside is warmer than inside, so open to ideas.
You can fit Wi-Fi sockets/plugs to control on off times .

Sponsored Links
You can fit Wi-Fi sockets/plugs to control on off times .
Exactly, plus set the on and off's conditional, based on time and comparative temperatures.
Now you are talking, I have looked at this idea, but other than use a PLC which I have considered as I have a couple spare, how do these things work? My first thoughts was the Inkbird 1716461045550.pngset it so when outside at say 24ºC the fan stops. But it would need two, one to start the fan when inside temp 18ºC what is really wanted is if inside is over outside temp, and inside is also over 18ºC then run that fan. A if this then that (ITTT) setup.

So fan is already on a wifi socket TP-Link one I think, so hey google turn on fan will work, that helps as I can set the fan to stop at set times, or start at set times, and use voice to override the times.

However if one keeps the home cool that's half the battle, once the home has heated up, it often too late to use fans. It turn the AC on time.

Now you are talking, I have looked at this idea, but other than use a PLC which I have considered as I have a couple spare, how do these things work?

Take a look at Alexa, it is quite versatile, and becoming more versatile as time passes.

Sponsored Links
Now you are talking, I have looked at this idea, but other than use a PLC which I have considered as I have a couple spare, how do these things work? My first thoughts was the Inkbird View attachment 344046set it so when outside at say 24ºC the fan stops. But it would need two, one to start the fan when inside temp 18ºC what is really wanted is if inside is over outside temp, and inside is also over 18ºC then run that fan. A if this then that (ITTT) setup.

So fan is already on a wifi socket TP-Link one I think, so hey google turn on fan will work, that helps as I can set the fan to stop at set times, or start at set times, and use voice to override the times.

However if one keeps the home cool that's half the battle, once the home has heated up, it often too late to use fans. It turn the AC on time.
Fans don’t cool , they move air , if you are hotter than the air they move they will cool you .Or if you are sweating they will cool you .

I have a house in a sunny region. I used to be away all week, and it would be closed up, and very hot on my return.

I found that opening the loft hatch allows the hottest air to rise into the loft, and escape through the eaves. It is fastest if you open a downstairs door or window on the shady side of the house when you are in. Even a letterbox gives noticeable airflow.

the loft hatch can be left open when you are away.

blinds on sunny windows will reduce solar gain.

Your brickwork does get wet, every time it rains..
I don't think it's the same. A DPC at about 10cm height is to prevent scatter off the ground hitting the bricks and causing issues inside the house. So designers/BC seem to believe it's a different case to rain falling vertically (even with the odd gust of wind), and needs mitigation.
My vertical blinds can be set to simply stop the direct sun, but still allow light into the room - that is their design for purpose.
If you're further north than me that may be a compromise you're prepared to make in a forecast heatwave. I don't think I am, particularly as I have pets that can't sweat. Any time you try to block IR from inside the house it's going to be inferior to blocking it from outside, that's why people in southern climes have shutters outside the windows, to avoid the 'greenhouse'. Unless you want to install such shutters the next best thing in terms of efficacy is to put something on the outside. I have Velux windows with blackout blinds that are completely white, they are almost too hot to touch in the summer, so all that heat gets radiated into the room. It improves things somewhat to have a curtain behind the blinds but you are just trying to mitigate what's already been let in. Better to not let it in at all.

Better to not let it in at all.

I agree, but we were discussing the point about hanging wet sheets outdoors, as a means to cool the interior..

Pets/dogs - I make a point of giving them a good soaking with cool water, in hot weather.

I remember in Algeria we had AC's in the cabins, but nothing in the workshops which were containers, we tried the tray with some absorbent cloth, same idea as the water bottle with cloth around it made wet and hung off the wing mirror, but static it did not seem to work very well. However the brackets and corrugated sheets about 6" above container roof did. At least until we got high winds.

It seems to be don't let the home heat up, rather than cool it down, and French type shutters on windows will likely work, but want them to look aesthetically pleasing, with LED lighting and solar panels one can light the room with lights designed for night use, however it is how to have shutters in UPVC windows which don't look hideous.

It seems quite clear these 1716892556039.png will never cover the windows, and likely are not even designed to move. And these 1716892690876.pngmay be practical and lend themselves to being motorised, but stop all light and do not really enhance the look of the house. And these 1716892864251.png can hardly be fitted to UPVC.

So this 1716893085280.png seems a little more practical, or a more permanent type like this 1716893218926.png
however they are expensive, so before getting one the first stage is to see what others say about them.

So this 1716893085280.png seems a little more practical, or a more permanent type like this 1716893218926.png
however they are expensive, so before getting one the first stage is to see what others say about them.
I've said before in previous posts, brise soleil look good and can work well - we had a five floor building equipped with them on the south side and it made a huge difference to the comfort of the rooms during the summer.

I would have loved to install them, but there don't seem to be any DIY solutions on the market.
That seems to leaves the expensive corporate solutions for large buildings, or architect designed houses (...and to work properly, there does need to be some design considerations).

So in the end, I went with a slightly less elegant awning.

Awnings can look good, depending on the style of the house. I had one that lasted over a hundred years (recanvassed once that I know of)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back