Keeping post anchors straight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

I'm putting some 2ft post anchors into the back garden for a small removable fence. I'm struggling to keep them totally square. Any tips?

I was thinking of building the small fence first and then hammering it all in together. Only thing is, as I said, I need to remove the fence quite frequently so I would be worried they were wedged in if I hammered in all together.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
PS have tried a spirit level but the anchors are naturally finding the easiest way down.

Thanks

Removable fence? Why not fit a gate? If the ground is stony you will struggle to get them in straight, might as will dig out a small hole and concrete them in, but then you might as well just concrete in proper posts. Unless you sink the top of the anchor beneath the surface, and use the bolt version to undo when you want to remove the timber post. They will be a bugger to get out though, and will get damaged in the process, leading to increased chance of the post rotting below ground.

Is a gate swinging in or out an issue?
Have you room for a rolling gate?

Got to be easier.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

All points noted and I get your drift. Removable fence is the way to go, though.

Will persevere!

All

I'm really struggling with this. I take on board all of your points. Without boring you all to death the fence is the way to go. However, I'm never going to do this if I can't get these bl%%dy things in straight.

Anyone got any tips? Please!!!

Loosen the soil first by breaking up with a spade. Knock in the anchor into the now softer ground, and then compact the soil really firmly around the anchor - you could hire a whacker, or use a sledge hammer.

Loosening the soil is plain nuts, as is expecting to get the bloody things in straight, find another way. OR explain how demountable you want your fence to be etc and we may know a better way.

Loosen the soil first by breaking up with a spade. Knock in the anchor into the now softer ground, and then compact the soil really firmly around the anchor - you could hire a whacker, or use a sledge hammer.

Put in concrete pads then use the type of anchor which bolts down onto them?
Dig out as usual then use postcrete to set the 2" spikes into the ground?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back