Keeping records

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With Part P installation certificates have to be forwarded to LABC either direct or through scheme operator but what about the reverse when selling a house for example can one apply to the LABC for copies of those certificates?

I always considered with domestic records needed keeping for 10 years as after 10 years there should be a PIR or a EICR which would supersede them in industry I would archive with do not destroy before [Date] written on them normally 5 years as 4 years was maximum PAT test so there should always be a more recent copy after 5 years. In the main paper copies were only a back-up for computer copy as can't sign the computer copy.

Domestic with a scheme member the home owner should have a copy, the electrician should have a copy, the scheme provider should have a copy and the LABC should have a copy which if true means if the home owners copy is lost, or altered then very easy to replace or verify.

However when my son stopped sole trading and moved into a narrow boat paperwork was not retained pointless as even if some one did want a replacement copy then they were unlikely to find him he was of no fixed abode somewhere on the cut. So since pre-Part P all now gone but Part P been going 10 years now which is the time when installation certificates should be produced to the electrician doing the EICR and all important details like cable type and installation method copied to the new certificate. However the EICR is not sent to scheme operator or LABC so how are their records updated?

Also if doing an EICR should where owner can't provide them the electrician be requesting the paperwork from the LABC?

So if buying a house re-wired in last 10 years can I get copies of paper work from LABC so I can identify any DIY work?

Sponsored Links
I do not know what happens when notifying directly through the LABC as I have never done it.

However, when self-certifying through a scheme there is only a copy given to the home owner and a copy retained by me.

No record of the work other than a very narrow description such as 'new circuit(s)' or 'new consumer unit' is described to the scheme operator.
Therefore, although the LABC is presumably informed, they will have NO record of the actual work.

So, should the home owner lose their copy, only the electrician who did the work will have a copy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back