Ken Livingstone plans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just has an email this morning, is this true :?: :eek: can't find any media reports so far

Ken Livingstone is planning to use tax payer's money to build an enormous mosque costing an estimated £100M in the docklands.

Wouldn't it be better to spend the money on a new hospital or improved transport facilities. anything but such a scheme as this:

The mosque will be BIGGER THAN ST PAUL'S!!!

The plan is for the mosque to be so big so that people flying in from all over the world for the 2012 Olympics will see it as the biggest landmark in London , bigger than St Pauls, Westminster Abbey or Wembley
Stadium.

Sponsored Links
This country isn't capable of passing, starting and completing the construction of such a large building in such a short period of time as five years.

Ken doesn't have a prayer. ;)

masona said:
Just has an email this morning, is this true :?: :eek: can't find any media reports so far

Ken Livingstone is planning to use tax payer's money to build an enormous mosque costing an estimated £100M in the docklands.

Wouldn't it be better to spend the money on a new hospital or improved transport facilities. anything but such a scheme as this:

The mosque will be BIGGER THAN ST PAUL'S!!!

The plan is for the mosque to be so big so that people flying in from all over the world for the 2012 Olympics will see it as the biggest landmark in London , bigger than St Pauls, Westminster Abbey or Wembley
Stadium.

Don't know if its true or not, but my first instinct would be to say that its a load of cobblers started off by someone wanting to cause trouble.

I don't think any taxpayers money has ever gone to building religious building (or at least not for a few hundred years), so can't imagine why it would now.

I fully expect to be proved wrong now, but it does just sound like stirring....

EDIT: Just had a quick Google and it appears that it is true that there are some plans to build a big Mosque in East London, and it will cost about that ammount, but it is to be privately funded, and Ken Livingstone has not 'planned it'. As to whether it is 'bigger than St.Pauls' or not, I don't know (nor care) but the beef some people have with it is that it will be the main religious building in shot during aerial shots of the olympics.

Sponsored Links
johnny_t said:
If it's not true, I can't understand what do they get out of it.

masona said:

Some people love to stir up racial, religious and ethnic hatred.

Surely you knew that?

johnny_t said:
masona said:

in London , bigger than St Pauls, Westminster Abbey or Wembley
Stadium. [/i]

Don't know if its true or not, but my first instinct would be to say that its a load of cobblers started off by someone wanting to cause trouble.

stirring....

main religious building in shot during aerial shots of the olympics.
Course it`s a wind up :rolleyes: ..won`t look any worse than the *supository *A.K.A. the gherkin :rolleyes:

masona said:
johnny_t said:

As has been mentioned, its just to cause trouble. Start a chain e-mail like this off, and even if you get 100 people feeling less sunnily disposed towards Muslims than before, because Ken Livingstone is building them a 100 million pound Mosque out of taxpayers money, then its job is done....

johnny_t said:
masona said:
johnny_t said:

As has been mentioned, its just to cause trouble. Start a chain e-mail like this off, and even if you get 100 people feeling less sunnily disposed towards Muslims than before, because Ken Livingstone is building them a 100 million pound Mosque out of taxpayers money, then its job is done....
Besides why should londoners get all the perks, maybe Ken should spend some of our money in the sticks?

tim west said:
Besides why should londoners get all the perks, maybe Ken should spend some of our money in the sticks?

That doesn't make sense, as in fact he isn't spending any of the Londoners' Council Tax money on building a place of worship in London.

JohnD said:
tim west said:

That doesn't make sense, as in fact he isn't spending any of the Londoners' Council Tax money on building a place of worship in London.
A quip, nothing more ;)

I am a Muslim, and I find this totally reprehensible. Public money is not used to create Christian places of worship, and this is a Christian country, so therefore is is a totaly unforgivable idea to even plan to use tax payers money to build such a place.

There are more than enough Mosques for my fellow Muslims and myself, London does not need a monstrosity created by beaurocrats, and Islam certainly doesn't.

I have signed the petition. Muslims should pay for such a structure themselves if that is what they want.

I have no religious axe to grind, but I signed the petition on the basis that it's quite clear that Mr Livingston is merely pandering to a significant section of the voting London public for his own interests.

At a time when public services that benefit everybody are under-funded or non-existent, it's hardly justifiable to spend such a large sum on a less urgent project.

Having lived in London for 5 years, I know there are plenty of projects in more urgent need of a cash boost, IMHO the man's a borderline lunatic.

Sponsored Links