Kettle plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ha ha.

Oh alright - IEC 60320 C14 line connectors (I know - not what kettles use anyway...)

Does anybody know of rewireable fused ones?

Sponsored Links
Never seen them with fuses in before - you can get the panel mount male connectors with fuse holders built in.
A rewirable IEC plug is pretty common, albeit a bit of a pain to wire.

Sponsored Links
I'm not making anything (I hope... :confused: ) - if I were I'd use panel mount fuseholders with regular C13 outlets.

I want to use an off-the-shelf PDU recessed into a wall to provide several sockets (10-12) for TV & hi-fi etc in a lot less space than BS 1363s would need.

As long as the supply to the PDU is fused at a reasonable level I don't see any real need to individually fuse the appliances. Afaict the only reason we have plug fuses in BS1363 plugs was because of the introduction of very high curren (30A) socket circuits.

I have also never come across fused C14 line connectors. Surely off the shelf PDUs are available with individually fused outlets? I know I've seen them in 19" rackmount units with this configuration, so would be suprised if they aren't manufactured in other variants too. Not as convenient as fused C14 plugs as it does mean that you can't swap outlets without swapping fuses too, although I would expect that if they were all fused at 3A then this would be suitable for your application.

Have you considered some other connector? I don't know if they're fused, but if so, european-style Shuko plugs would also offer a significant space saving over 13A plugs.

Surely off the shelf PDUs are available with individually fused outlets?
Some are, but many aren't.

I would expect that if they were all fused at 3A then this would be suitable for your application.
Probably - and as they usually take 5x20mm fuses I could use slow-blow ones to avoid surge problems.

Or replace them with 5A ones.

Have you considered some other connector? I don't know if they're fused, but if so, european-style Shuko plugs would also offer a significant space saving over 13A plugs.
They aren't fused either...

or try here http://www.olson.co.uk/iec320.htm this company make socket strips up to 20 ways, but they are not cheap
Can be had on eBay for reasonable sums:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Olson-10-Way-...yZ108993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And isn't that one interesting - don't know if it was unofficially rewired, but it's got no individual fusing, no overall fusing, and will plug into a circuit rated at 32A....

B.A.S does this mean you have given up using your xlr strip
Yeah - can't find any *$%^!#@+£ plugs for them.

Maybe I'll put them back on eBay - I was stupid enough to buy them without checking plug availability, maybe somebody else will.... :evil:

reading your post again, if you want to recess the strip in the wall try something like this http://www.olson.co.uk/knbt.htm[/QUOTE]
Yes - something like that would do, or a couple of those square panels made by Bulgin - they've got fusing for the whole panel.

I just wondered if I could get fused plugs to make my options for outlet panels as wide as possible - they'll end up on a 20-30A circuit, and I didn't want to have to put an FCU or two in as well.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Even if you did find fused plugs I would NOT put IEC outlets directly on a 32A feed, that is just asking for a dangerous situation when someone plugs in an off the shelf IEC lead.

Even if you did find fused plugs I would NOT put IEC outlets directly on a 32A feed,
pduoplson2.jpg

that is just asking for a dangerous situation when someone plugs in an off the shelf IEC lead.
They're not going to.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back