5A BS 1363 plug?

Sponsored Links
BAS, without bothering to reply individually to your questions, can I say that many years ago, when I was a product designer (some might say "when I had a proper job!), I worked on designs that used flexible cables on sub-sea oil valve actuators, at an ambient temperature that never varied from (I think) 4 deg C, and a steel sampling device that (again from my rather decrepit memory) had to operate at 850deg C. Do you think those tables would have provided me with any useful information?

Sponsored Links
BAS, without bothering to reply individually to your questions
What a surprise :rolleyes:

can I say that many years ago, when I was a product designer (some might say "when I had a proper job!), I worked on designs that used flexible cables on sub-sea oil valve actuators, at an ambient temperature that never varied from (I think) 4 deg C, and a steel sampling device that (again from my rather decrepit memory) had to operate at 850deg C. Do you think those tables would have provided me with any useful information?
Not really.

But then I don't suppose you used BS 6004 T&E or BS EN 50525-2-11 flexible cables for either of those applications, did you.

But be that as it may, and recognising your reluctance to answer all my questions, just go for the last one.

In Table 4F3A, why isn't the rating for 1.5mm² BS EN 50525-2-11 (née BS 6500) cable 50A?

I know why it is.

I want you to tell me why you think it is.

Let me give you a clue.

What would happen to 1.5mm² flex if I put 50A through it?

I know why it is.

I want you to tell me why you think it is.

Let me give you a clue.

I thought you wanted me to tell you why I thought it wasn't?
Thanks for the clue. The answer to your question depends on a lot of things which you haven't specified. Off the top of my head, here are some:
What conductor material?
For how long will this 50A flow?
What insulation material?
How many cores, and to what are they connected?
What's the environment?
Is the flex in contact with anything?
Any forced cooling?

:confused:

...The answer to your question depends on a lot of things which you haven't specified. Off the top of my head, here are some:
What conductor material?
How many cores, and to what are they connected?
What's the environment?
Any forced cooling? :confused:
If I may jump back in, to make a comment from the perspective I was previously representing (BAS's may be similar) ...

... the point I was making before was that, as far as I can see, the answer to most of the relevant questions, such as those above are essentially the same whether a 0.75mm² flex is 'part of an electrical installation or part of a made-up lead set - namely copper conductor, continuous flow of current (obviously not 50A!), PVC/PVC, 3-cores, connected to plugs/sockets/accessories at ends, in a 'normal domestic environment', at 'normal domestic ambient temperature', possibly in contact with various things (vague for both applications) and without any forced cooling. It is that similarity which makes me feel that the 'CCC' should also be similar in the two cases and hence that, if overload protection is deemed to be required, that similar levels of overload protection (e.g.fuse rating) should be appropriate in the two cases.

I am not saying that I believe that the CCC and required protection of a cable of a certain CSA is going to be the same regardless of all other factors. However, I am saying that I feel that those 'other factors' are very similar in the two applications of the cable we were considering.

Kind Regards, John

What conductor material?
It's copper, of course, which is what BS 6500/BS EN 50525-2-11 cables use, as you know full well. Stop pretending that there are genuine reasons why you cannot answer the question - it's not making you look good.

Indefinitely, as is the case with all currents quoted in rating tables in the Wiring Regulations, as you know full well.

PVC, of course, which is what BS 6500/BS EN 50525-2-11 cables use, as you know full well.

How many cores
screenshot_315.jpg

2,3,4 or 5.

and to what are they connected?
Unspecified. Is it relevant? If so, why?

What's the environment?
Any in which BS 6500/BS EN 50525-2-11 cables may be used.

Unspecified. Is it relevant? If so, why?

Any forced cooling?
:rolleyes:

Tell me - do any installation methods/conditions of use in the tables in BS 7671 include forced cooling? Stop pretending that there are genuine reasons why you cannot answer the question - it's not making you look good.

You can't keep running and hiding and twisting and turning and wriggling and doing everything you can think of to avoid answering the question for ever.

I'm not avoiding any questions, in fact I can't even remember what is the question you are accusing me of evading. I'm simply pointing out that the world does not begin and end with BS 7671, and there are more cables around than are dealt with in BS 6500/BS EN 50525-2-11.

I'm not avoiding any questions, in fact I can't even remember what is the question you are accusing me of evading.

I'm simply pointing out that the world does not begin and end with BS 7671, and there are more cables around than are dealt with in BS 6500/BS EN 50525-2-11.
I never said it did, and I never said there wasn't.

What would happen to 1.5mm² flexible cable to BS EN 50525-2-11 in an ambient temperature of 30° with no forced cooling if 50A was put through it?

OK - I give up - life is too short to continue to battle against your deliberate obtuseness.

Of course it is the behaviour of the insulation and/or sheath as the conductor temperature rises which limits how much current the cable can safely carry, and therefore of course it is that behaviour which governs the rating(s) given to a particular cable, and therefore of course that rating has to be set at a point below which the heating of the conductor(s) will cause the insulation and/or sheath to no longer perform in the appropriate manner.

I know that. Everybody knows that. And you know that, but you seem to think that a sustained campaign of twisting and turning and wriggling and endless requests for pointless, irrelevant "clarifications" (forced cooling, FGS :rolleyes: ) will mean that you don't have to answer questions which will show that you were wrong to say that the rated CCC of a cable is not directly related to how the insulation/sheath performs as the conductor temperature rises.

Well - congratulations. You have avoided answering any of the questions.

But I don't believe that there is a single person here who thinks you were right.

Not even you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back