Key turns clockwise to lock. Help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_9089.jpeg
I bought and fitted this locking door knob from Amazon. I really like the look of it, but the key turns clockwise to lock the door. This would be ok if the door handle was on the right side of the door, but as I understand it my door is a right hand (RH) door with the hinges on the right and the handle on the left, and so I expect the key to turn anti-clockwise to lock the door. Can my issue be resolved, or can I buy the locking door knobs that I require, and can anyone provide links on where to purchase?

Sponsored Links
IMG_9096.jpeg

I can’t swap the knobs. I need the key lock on this side of the door and The other knob has a thumb turn lock.

The knob doesn't know (or care) which side of the door the hinges are fitted to and will unlock in a consistent direction regardless. You may be able to dismantle the knob and find the part of the mechanism that makes it "wrong" and adjust/flip/rotate or so that it's "right" (perhaps taking parts from the other handle) but I'd be surprised if those particular knobs were available handed the other way

Sponsored Links
Don't you just get used to it? On any door with a key hole on both sides you would turn it anti clockwise from one direction and clockwise from the other?

I can't see it being easily able to dismantle each knob, there are likely to be lugs that have been bent over or similar holding it together, though some have a C ring.

Last edited:
The other side of my door, yes it does turn the opposite way, the Thumb Turn turns anti-clockwise to lock, when it would be correct in my opinion for it to turn clockwise! I think you’re right and I might just get use to it. It’s just one of those things, I suppose.
IMG_9132.jpeg

I might look at buying a doorknob with a key lock on both sides. That way I can just swap the doorknobs around if I encounter this problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back