Key won't turn upvc door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I have a upvc door problem, when trying to lock the door I don't think the handle is lifting high enough to engage the bolts etc that run down the door hence the key won't turn, if I try with the door open it works OK, I can't see anything obvious that is stopping the bolts engaging properly. Any ideas please
Thanks
Bill

Sponsored Links
The door has dropped/settled and will require toe and heeling to set it back up, minor tweaks however can be done using the hinges, flag hinges have more scope of movement compared to say butt hinges but both types have adjustment

Sponsored Links
Hi, Open the door, turn the key to activate the bolts, and push the door to. Now mark on the door frame were the bolts strike. This should indicate which bolts/slots are out of alignment. Should help. You might be able to adjust the lock keep on the door frame, rather than adjust the door.

you can also smudge the bolt with lipstick, and it will leave a mark where it touches the frame or keep.

I don't have/use a lipstick, but otherwise the suggestion is spot on.

You can also get a tin or tube of Engineers Blue, which is cheaper than a woman.

Blue.jpg

Some trades use a smoky flame to leave a trace of soot on one part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back