Keyfob or keypad?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have a Galaxy alarm, with keypads (one on 2nd floor, one by front door). I heard a rumour that the police don't like keypads any more, and want users to have electronic fobs or keys instead.

What's the story? mine is monitored and I have a call-out contract with a Security Guard company who are nominated keyholders (though my neighbour is first call keyholder, as he doesn't charge a call-out fee :D

Each user has their own access code.

Sponsored Links
Personally I think keypads are a better option to keyfobs purely for the reason that most people are going to attach the keyfob to their keys. If you get your keys nicked, the alarm can also be disabled.

You didn't hear the rumor from a potential burglar did you? :LOL:

John this is a change in regulations bought about by ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) a few years back . Basically there were too many monitored alarms that were false alarming and making them leave their doughnuts to get cold :D

They decided on the keyfob idea for unsetting of the system only as they discovered a large proportion of the false alarms were due to incorrect codes being entered on un setting. They also said if you didn't have fobs and burglars broke in through the front door this would not count as an activation towards sending a confirmed signal (something else that has changed in the past few yrs). Another way round this is to fit a shunt lock which will set/ unset the alarm.

Personally I prefer to have both a fob for unsetting/setting the saystem day to day but also a code should you need to omit a zone for example. Too many people rely on the fobs and then forget the codes. :rolleyes:

Out of interest how long ago was the alarm fitted ? If the system is monitored your installer sahould have explained this

It's about 10 years old.

It has a digital signaller, and the monitoring station once called me and said they could detect the front door opening then someone in the hall, which I think they said was a confirmed entry.

there is not a shunt on the lock, but there is a magnetic door-open detector on it (and all other external doors). Not visible as they are recessed into the door frame, with a magnet driled into the edge of the door, and wires run through the wall. Inside the hall and some other rooms are PIRs.

Sponsored Links
Ten years old you don't have to worry bout it then mate. Only applies to new installations or if you had enough false alarms to lose your URN (Unique Ref NO) and you have to take remedial action to get it back. As long as you remember the code you'll be fine :LOL:

have to agree with ivysytems, 10 years ago, fobs never heard of, but also as said fobs can get lost or stolen, and its to comply with the new regs (DD243) you have to have fobs and the keypad dissabled on entry.

I think fobs are useless, becuse it has been known for some to have their keys lifted house opened, alarm turned off stuff ttkaen , insurance wont pay out as alarm shows being turned off (which it was)

it sounds to me like this whole buisness of getting an insurance approved alarm to lower your insurance premiums is just giving the insurers another excuse not to pay out.

no, getting a reduction in insurance premium is a waste of time for mr and mrs Average

you will be lucky if you get 10% off, so if you paid £300 insurance which o#i doubt, thats a great saving of £30 is it worth it?

you will be lucky if you get 10% off, so if you paid £300 insurance which o#i doubt, thats a great saving of £30 is it worth it?
No, especially as it gives them far more excuses to deny your claim.

Alarms don't prevent burglaries they just announce them

LOCKS prevent burglaries ........ :!:

I've got plenty of them too.

not to mention the barbed-wire entanglements on the undefended boundary.

I've been to someones house this week to discuss matters security, there was a guy there replacing the panel in their plastic front door, apparently their three year old hit it with a toy car & broke it...... I had to take this guy over to one side & wise him up a bit..... :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back